Alright...thoughts anyone

happlegate11

I am currently using a Nikon D70s and am looking for an upgrade. I was looking at getting the D700. What are everyone's thoughts on this? A friend has gotten the D7000 and suggested that to me but I don't think that is the camera for me. Any thoughts on that as well! Thanks for the feed back!

Curt

Well keep in mind if you get a D700 it's a full screen formant (FX), so if you have a lot of lenses this will be a problem.
As your D70s is a DX formant, the D7000 would be a better fit for you, unless you are thinking of going full FX.

Last edited by a moderator:

happlegate11

I only have a few lenses so that's not a problem, and I mainly use a 50mm lens, so getting a new one doesn't bother me too much.

Jaynometry

It might also be too late in the game to invest in the D700 as Nikon is planning to release their new line of FX cameras this year. Though a D700 is a stellar camera and years beyond its technology, waiting until the release of the newer line might save you a few hundreds off the D700. Just a question though, why did you feel that the D7000 wasn't for you? Looking through your pictures from the link in your signature, it seems like the low light performance of an FX camera will truly benefit you.

happlegate11

Wait this statement confused me "Just a question though, why did you feel that the D7000 wasn't for you? Looking through your pictures from the link in your signature, it seems like the low light performance of an FX camera will truly benefit you."

The 7000 is a DX camera not a FX camera. That is why I am leaning towards the 700. I am liking what I am learning and reading about the FX. Did I miss something. I have been up all night with two sick girls so maybe I read wrong. Sorry if I did. I think the 7000 is a great camera but I think I will like the 700 in the long run. I don't need HD video either.

Also I will not be getting it right away. I need to wait a few months. Save the money up so I can get the lenses I want as well.

Jaynometry

Oh sorry, it was more curiosity than anything. I was wondering why you felt the 7000 wasn't for you and then I was suggesting that a move to FX will benefit your indoor shooting.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
One more thing you might want to consider: the weight of the D700. this is one reason I got the 7K. try to get your hands on one for a day or so before you commit. Renting is cheap if it makes you take the good decision and you have no regrets afterward.
Just my 2 canadian cents.
Marcel

mcshan

Thank you. You brought up a great idea - that of 'renting' both cameras and taking them for a spin to try them out. That's what I'm going to do!

theregsy

If you can always try before you buy, as another positive (although this might change under the current circumstances in Japan) if a new FX is to be released to replace the D700 with a bit of luck the 700 prices should drop as soon as the new one appears. There will also be a fair few appearing used or traded in as the gear heads stampede off to buy new kit that will make them better photographers (sorry just a little dig there LOL). Good luck with the new camera, whatever you decide, look forward to seeing results :)

happlegate11

Thank You everyone. I am excited to be purchasing the D700 in the next Month now. I am nervous to have to relearn a new camera but excited at the same time. I really appreciate all the input everyone gave me. I can't wait to start taking pictures with it!

Ranie

Oh sorry, it was more curiosity than anything. I was wondering why you felt the 7000 wasn't for you and then I was suggesting that a move to FX will benefit your indoor shooting.

Not only the FX good in ISO over the DX but in terms of Dynamic Range, the DX is no match for an FX.