Stop. Just STOP. (Mild rant)

480sparky

In scanning my dad's old Kodachrome slides from the '50s and '60s, what wonderful memories they stir up in me as I look at myself as a 3-year-old at Disneyland, or at 8 standing in the waters of the Atlantic south of Miami picking up sand dollars. The railway at Pike's Peak in Colorado. The brilliant colors of Bryce Canyon. An old cemetery in Concord, Massachusetts. Wildlife along the Going To The Sun Road. Devil's Tower. Golden Gate Bridge. Grand Canyon. Wolf Creek Pass. Niagara Falls. Arches. Gardens of the Gods. Craters of the Moon.

However, I noticed a very 'unhappy' trend in scanning these half-decade old images,..... and I recall that trend all too well as we traveled the country when I was growing up.

In my teens, I started to get interested in photography, in part due to your travels (I have been fortunate to have been in 47 of the Lower 48). However, one thing that irked me in those years is the rigid schedule my dad imparted on our travels. Many a time I wanted to 'stop and take a photo', only to be told, "No, we need to be in Denver/Portland/St. Augustine/Odessa/Helena/wherever by 3:00."

Although many of his photos were taken from scenic overlooks and such, I've found a lot of them taken from a moving vehicle. Just like this one:

Batch1120post.jpg

Now I realize Dad wasn't a great photographer (he never claimed to be), and didn't have a better camera than his $18 1962 Tenax Automatic. All he was after was snapshots. But how sad it is that such a rich opportunity was lost simply because he didn't want to even slow down. I'll admit many of his images are less than ideal, due in part by the poor optics he was using, not adjusting the focus on the rangefinder camera, and many more simply improperly exposed by what I'm sure was not setting the ASA on the camera correctly when loading another roll. But still..... I absolutely cringe when I see a shot like this and think of the tremendous opportunity that was let slip away.

I recall specifically wanting to take a shot of a stand of aspens outside Aston, ID, we passed at least 100 times. It wasn't until 2012 that I was able to actually stop and take it, and it was because I was traveling solo.

To date, I have only found two 'keepers' out of about 850 images of his. Moral of the story: If you see a shot, pull over (safely!) and take your time getting it.

Rant over.

Scott Murray

I couldn't agree with you more, part of a holiday are the bits in between which most people forget. All they see is the end goal and miss out on a lot of great scenery and even people. I recall doing a Hummer guided trip from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon, coming back we were running late. And at Hoover dam due to some luck with the traffic being backed up we were able to jump out of the hummer, run across the hoover dam taking photos and by the time we finished the hummer was on the other side and we jumped in again. But if it wasn't for us getting out and making something of nothing, I would never have gotten any hoover dam wall photos looking over the edge. So all I can say is if you see an opportunity cease it and make the most of it.

WayneF

In scanning my dad's old Kodachrome slides from the '50s and '60s, what wonderful memories they stir up

Batch1120post.jpg

Not the subject of your post, but maybe it does not greatly affect reminiscing, but maybe you relied too heavily on "auto" processing of your scans?

One click does this: (WB eyedropper on the snow)

cabin.jpg

Old Ektachrome slides do fade badly, almost beyond hope, but Kodachrome holds up real well.

480sparky

Not the subject of your post, but maybe it does not greatly affect reminiscing, but maybe you relied too heavily on "auto" processing of your scans?

One click does this: (WB eyedropper on the snow)

cabin.jpg

Old Ektachrome slides do fade badly, almost beyond hope, but Kodachrome holds up real well.

Very little Auto in scanning. Many are very badly faded.

You can't delete a post, but the Mod Squad can.

Jonathan

I couldn't agree with you more, part of a holiday are the bits in between which most people forget. All they see is the end goal and miss out on a lot of great scenery and even people. I recall doing a Hummer guided trip from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon, coming back we were running late. And at Hoover dam due to some luck with the traffic being backed up we were able to jump out of the hummer, run across the hoover dam taking photos and by the time we finished the hummer was on the other side and we jumped in again. But if it wasn't for us getting out and making something of nothing, I would never have gotten any hoover dam wall photos looking over the edge. So all I can say is if you see an opportunity cease it and make the most of it.

Abso-bloody-lutely! The ONLY schedule I ever impose on a holiday is flight in and flight out. Otherwise I just go with the flow, usually low-key with the locals, not in an hermetically-sealed tourist fest. If I do meet other English speakers
I often pretend I'm Scandinavian to avoid contact. I'm there to experience another culture, not chat about the strength of the frigging pound!

Just-Clayton

I really didn't start taking pictures until I was in the service. I used a cheap 35mm Vivitar camera. I had a lot of rolls of film and I developed only a few. I lost the other rolls due to losing my bag when returned off the ship. It's not often you get to travel the Mediterranean. Went to Florida, I took a few rolls with the kids.. LOST! I'm glad for digital now.