Ireland the beauty queen

cmsouvign2

This shot was taken a while back. I turned it into black and white because I felt black and white complimented it better. I love sepia and black and white the best. I would appreciate any feed back that is given. Thanks.

ireland black and white.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Bautsch

Christine, good shot and exposure. If anything a little more room around the top and back of the head would be good. It's a good profile and posing with the hands, but for my own taste I would like to see a little more of the front of the face and eye. With small children it's almost always the "eyes" that make the shot. Good choice for B&W.

ohkphoto

Snow White
but for my own taste I would like to see a little more of the front of the face and eye. With small children it's almost always the "eyes" that make the shot.

I think it's probably true of anything "alive" we photograph -- the eyes are such an important part. Good critique, Joseph
Having said that, I know that with kids and pets, you're sometimes not in the right position at the right time; so you take the shot you can get and work with it. In those cases, the moment is more important than technique.

I really like this shot. I don't think you could get a better profile shot. It's truly the moment! When you convert to BW, especially in lightroom, you have to adjust things like contrast and brightness (up). Play around with some of the presets. I think a little more brightness in the face would be good.

We're beginning to see a style arising out of you, Miss Christine! ;) Great job!

cmsouvign2

Thank you very much Helene and Joseph, I appreciate it I will play more with the contrast, Helene and work on more of resizing I am glad you both liked it... Helene, I am trying to get a style going so I know what I can do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

Yes, nice job, Chris. I like the shot myself. I can agree with Joseph on his critique, and understand where he's coming from, but I also agree with Helene on capturing the moment and not being too concerned with any loss of technique.

Joseph Bautsch

Christine, it's not necessary to look for or try to develop a style. Shoot what you like and develop your skills and your style will emerge. The important part is to enjoy what you are doing.