Everything you needed to know about Macro.

Scott Murray

The more we dive into photography the more we find. Macro is no exception, there are works of art that can be hung on anyones wall with macro all you need is the gear and the eye. When we look at macro it is a big world. Its like looking at NYC from space, and then zooming in. But this is just your house or your yard. Things lay hidden because a: we cannot see them, and b: we do not look for them. When it comes to macro photography there are a few keys that lay in my head. Lighting is key #1, if you do not have it then you will not see. This comes with both focusing and exposure, its ok to use flash and to only find out that you missed focus. Lighting is a key. So is DOF (Depth of Field). If you cannot keep everything in the focal point (DOF) then get the main points in focus. Another thing I always here is how close can you get. Well this is what this thread is about. The best way to my knowledge of how to know how close you are is to post a photo of a tape measure or ruler from 1cm (10mm) to what ever the size is. But also what we could compare is the DOF of different set ups and circumstances. Providing the light is right and there are no cropping we could do a comparison. We could even separate FX and DX if needed. I would like this a dedicated thread thats made a sticky and every one can see what we have tried and what the outcome was.

Scott Murray

Today arrived the Raynox DCR-250 so I removed the reversed 50mm 1.4D and tried it out. As you can see the Raynox does get you a lot closer and the quality is still the same its also easier to manage than having a 50mm Reversed on the end, auto focus still works if you want it, but I tend to still go manually.

Tamron 90mm Macro

Tamron 90mm Macro and Raynox DCR-250

Read more: http://nikonites.com/macro/16771-macro-lens-comparison-3.html#ixzz2tPilt9rg

Scott Murray

This is what gets me down to a 7mm wide FX frame.
Kenko 1.4TC, 90mm Tamron Macro, MSN-250 Raynox micro filter.

1553171_10151836074892827_919010760_o.jpg

Lawrence

I kind f enjoy it when you show off Scott.
Although I do have to confess that all this is way above me and the gear looks like it is light years down the road for me.
Extremely interesting though so I will keep looking and reading.

Scott Murray

I kind f enjoy it when you show off Scott.
Although I do have to confess that all this is way above me and the gear looks like it is light years down the road for me.
Extremely interesting though so I will keep looking and reading.
Ah thats the thing, this can easily be had by anyone, just really look at the combinations.

Lawrence

Scott what is the white foam panel attached to the lense? Is it a diffuser for the flash?

Probably not but just looking at the latest image I do not have a flash (other than one on camera) battery grip, those lenses and a decent tripod.
Now for the lenses …………… and ……… and ……..
One day maybe but for now happy to learn with my basics and read and watch the experts at work. Really do enjoy the brilliant photos and people in this site.