Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8

Browncoat

I finally replaced my general purpose D90 kit lens with a Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD.

This lens is held in pretty high regard and has some outstanding reviews. It ranks right up there, and even outperforms its Nikon and Canon counterparts in a few areas...and is much less expensive. I'm actually shocked by its sharpness and color reproduction. I was a bit reserved when it came to selecting this lens, despite the stellar reviews, because it's not Nikon. But I have to say, it's an incredible lens. I'll miss the extra zoom provided by the kit lens, but the image quality with the Tamron far outweighs the loss.

I'll post some SOOC comparison shots in the near future.

johnwartjr

The review implies that it is a FX lens....

On a film camera the 28-70mm range covers a lot of usage from landscapes and photojournalism to travel and environmental portraits. On a typical APS-C digital camera, such as the Canon EOS 50D, it has the same field of view as a 45-120mm lens would on a full frame 35mm camera.

Nothing wrong with using a FX lens on a DX body, I use my FX lenses on my D90 sometimes.

Browncoat

Hmm...you may be right. Found this is a recommended 3rd party lens for the D700:

Tamron hit on a winner with this lens; it’s sharp and contrasty, whilst remaining small and light. It loses out to other manufacturer’s lenses on the wide end – they often go to 24mm – but gains 5mm on the long end.

The name is Tamron’s usual strange mix of alphabet soup (not that Nikon are much better) – suffice it to say that this lens is from their pro range (”SP”), has autofocus (”AF” – though not AF-S), is designed for digital (”Di” – Digitally Integrated), is small (”XR”), has low dispersion glass (”LD”), aspherical elements, and internal focusing (”IF”).

But on other sites I have read that this lens was designed for cropped-sensor bodies. Regardless, it's a great lens.

LensWork

The Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 is the same lens they produced for Minolta years ago, and currently make for Sony. It received very high marks in its Minolta form.

NikonShutterBug

A friend purchased the Tamron 24-70mm 2.8, and is selling his 28-75 2.8. So I'm trying it out. So far I like it a lot. This week we will be doing a side by side compression of the two using his D800 and my D750. I'll do a review.