Series E lens on my D3100

PavementPilot

I found a Series E lens, 50mm 1.8 for $25 the other day. I knew it would mount but not meter. With some experimenting I found what settings I can use so far. For anyone wanting to mount an older lens, you need to put your camera on Manual, and if using the pop up flash, set it to manual aswell. Your EXIF will show your SS and ISO only. You will have to write down your f/stops and zoom if not using a single focus prime. If you would like to see an example of my 50mm, then look here Big Blue Eyes - Nikonites Gallery

Joseph Bautsch

Pilot, the lens was made back in the 70's for 35mm film cameras, and if I'm not mistaken would be a FX. In effect on your D3100 DX body would have an effective focal length of 75mm. As you have found out it's a great portrait lens. Nikon made great lenses even back then. It still out performs some of the modern glass. Most of these lenses I've seen for sale are running around $50, so your cost of $25 is a very good deal. Nice find.

PavementPilot

I eBay'ed the price for it starting at $75 and going up to $150 for 'buy it now', which is a good baseline for the asking price. I would put mine at about the $100 range for condition, using that scale.

This lens was on a Nikon FG. This one was made from '81-'85
From this site about Nikon Lens Serial Nos

50/1.8 Series E New MIJ 3+ chrome ring 1900001 1908197 - 3598519 1698519 May 81 - 1985