A grain of salt

Scott Murray

Well as the title says, this is a grain of normal table salt at 7mm across. No cropping.

SHM_9774.jpg

nidding

Nice, Scott! That's pretty damn close!

What lens did you use to get this tight?

The only comment I have, is that I kinda wonder about the B/W and feel that it might have been even better in colour?

Scott Murray

Nice, Scott! That's pretty damn close!

What lens did you use to get this tight?

The only comment I have, is that I kinda wonder about the B/W and feel that it might have been even better in colour?
I am using the 90m Tamron macro. Kenko 1.4TC. & Raynox Super MicroLens. With SB-910 and diffuser.

wornish

Great shots, I like the coloured one best. What background did you use was it just rice paper?
I am going to have a go at this we are having curry tonight so spices are in the kitchen.
I enjoy macros.

wornish

Would a D7100 get more detail out of a macro than a D800/D800E it could get more pixels on the image?
I would be interested to see a comparison on such a small thing as a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Jonathan

I tried a similar thing with sugar at the weekend, with my 40mm and 85mm lenses, 2x TC and various extension tubes. The muse wasn't with me and there were no keepers. I used a torch instead of a flash due to the overall length of the rig (D7100 body)!

Jonathan

And, of course, I wasn't scientific enough to jot down which was which in real time so I soon lost track of which was which, which drove the muse even further away!

See here (on the screen of my GPS):

DSC_3920.jpg

Mind you, these grains are around 1mm across.

Last edited:

Scott Murray

I tried a similar thing with sugar at the weekend, with my 40mm and 85mm lenses, 2x TC and various extension tubes. The muse wasn't with me and there were no keepers. I used a torch instead of a flash due to the overall length of the rig (D7100 body)!
Mine was better at 1/6000th sec