Before i hit the order Button.

Just-Clayton

I know there are issues with the 600. But, I have no problem cleaning the sensor. Would you dare get the 600 over the 610. I see it is a few hundred cheaper and I see the refurbished on Nikon for 500 less. I got my 300s last year and had spot issues. I just cleaned it and it was fine.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I have the 600 and had some dust in the first 1000 shots. I'm around 7000 now and only have to clean it once in a while (2months interval). You can get an extra lens with the 500$.

But maybe I was lucky or people were just afraid to do their cleaning. I see no problem (except cleaning issues) with this camera.

BackdoorArts

I would have no problem with a refurb D600 at $500 less, and I'd exercise the hell out of the shutter in the first 30 days. Shoot a lot of stuff in Continuous High as that seems to be where I would get the most oil popping up - shooting HDR brackets. Contact them immediately if spots show up and demand a different camera and not a replacement.

I'm 9 months in on my third shutter with no issues on this one. $500 will get you towards another lens, for sure.

Krs_2007

Not for that price. I love my camera and have only had it cleaned one time. I actually found the spots my accident. I was in Lightroom and playing with the Gradient Filter on the sky and adjusted the contrast and bam they popped up. Again, this is the first time I noticed any spots and I had already processed and posted that picture on here. So I took it to the store because I get free cleanings with my extended warranty. Clicks were 4600 before any cleaning was needed, I think that is acceptable considering how much I change lenses and shoot in dirty environments with sports.

After my free cleanings run out then I will start cleaning it myself. Now I bought mine almost a year after the camera had come out and some suspected that the later ones were null of spots, so I can't speak to the fact that it was the same spots as the first ones.

Get it, save a lot of money and enjoy a great camera.

Moab Man

I just bought a new D600 because of the substantial cut in price. No hesitation. And since it is not my only camera I can be patient if I need to work through a dirty sensor issue.

Dave_W

The Dude
I think the lack of buffer space is more detrimental to the D600 than the oil issue. That alone would push the D610 over the D600, IMO.

BackdoorArts

I think the lack of buffer space is more detrimental to the D600 than the oil issue. That alone would push the D610 over the D600, IMO.

Hmmm. I've never had an issue with the D600 buffer. Then again, I don't do a lot of continuous shooting with it beyond 3-frame bracket series since I use the D800 for wild life. All that said, I can find nothing in any review or press release that says the D610 got a bigger buffer with the shutter and firmware improvements.

I just did a quick test and got 12 shots in 14-bit uncompressed RAW and 17 shots in 12-bit uncompressed before the buffer filled. I hear you can get up to 27, but I haven't played with it. Are you thinking D7100?!

Dave_W

The Dude
Huh, maybe you're right, Jake. For some reason I thought I remembered that being an issue. Man, my senior moments are becoming senior hours, soon to be followed by senior days

ShootRaw

Nikon is now replacing peoples 600 for the 610's if you put up a fuss about it..Why buy a camera that has known issues..It is just a matter of time..Not worth the headache...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
So, has anyone dealt with ryther camera? Their 610 is the lowest price.

Wherever you buy, make sure about the store's reputation, and, make sure it's a US model.

If it was me, I'd buy from an actual store I could drive to and deal with real live persons. This way, it insures you of good service if you ever need it. Hopefully you won't, but if you do, you'll be glad you paid a few bucks more and get a satisfactory service.

This post is only worth 2 Canadian pennies. (And for those who don't know, Canada has abolished the pennies).

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I would have no problem with a refurb D600 at $500 less, and I'd exercise the hell out of the shutter in the first 30 days. Shoot a lot of stuff in Continuous High as that seems to be where I would get the most oil popping up - shooting HDR brackets. Contact them immediately if spots show up and demand a different camera and not a replacement.

I'm 9 months in on my third shutter with no issues on this one. $500 will get you towards another lens, for sure.

YES! I wasn't happy with Nikon's servicing on mine. If you get a refurbished camera, make sure you can at least exchange it within the first 30 days if there is a problem.

Are? You mean Nikon is still making D600s with oil issues?

I guess Firestone is still providing defective tires for Ford, too.

A lot of the refurbished bodies had their shutters replaced with the same shutters that caused the oil/dust issue so lots of refurbished cameras will still have the problem. It was only near the end that Nikon started using different shutters.

If the problem is simply the oil, it isn't difficult to clean. I wound up with something so sticky that neither I nor Nikon could remove it. OR...when they replaced the shutter on mine, perhaps they put the low pass filter on inside out because no amount of cleaning removed the spots--*if* it is possible to turn the low pass filter the wrong way. :p The very first photo after EVERY repair (3 repairs mind you) had spots. :(

tmcguire17

I love my D600 but I wouldnt buy it again. I most certainly would not buy a refurbished D600!! JMHO. And Nikon is NOT replacing them with D610's unless your wheels are really squeeky.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Rick M

I also love my D600, but would get a D610 if buying now. I would not trust Nikon to not be reselling bad D600's as refurbs (especially considering they put new bad shutters in returned bodies).

ShootRaw

And Nikon is NOT replacing them with D610's unless your wheels are really squeeky.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

They are..Do your research..They will only do it if you have sent it to them and there are continued issues..Which is a big majority of people..You have to put up a fuss for them to do it...They are doing it..It was announced by Nikon..