Little advice please!

juanb1203

Ok, I'm not into shooting weddings at all, just because I don't want to mess up anyone's wedding photos! Anyway, a co-worker of mine is having a little small wedding at the justice of the peace, so I said I would take some photos for him, figure I can't really mess that up. But what I want to know is should I shoot in Aperture priority? I will be using my 18-55 Vr and my 70-300 Vr, and handheld.

Thank you

What you really want to do is make sure you shoot fast enough so you don't get motion blur or soft photos. So no matter what mode you shoot in keep an eye on shutter speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Mike D90

Ok, I'm not into shooting weddings at all, just because I don't want to mess up anyone's wedding photos! Anyway, a co-worker of mine is having a little small wedding at the justice of the peace, so I said I would take some photos for him, figure I can't really mess that up. But what I want to know is should I shoot in Aperture priority? I will be using my 18-55 Vr and my 70-300 Vr, and handheld.

Thank you

First thing I would do is go to that place and check the lighting conditions to see what you will be shooting under. You may need a faster lens such as the 50mm f/1.8. That would likely allow you to shoot a lot of the images without flash if the lighting is at all decent. If the lighting sux you will need flash which will almost dictate shutter speed for you, actually, shutter speed wouldn't matter so much as long as you are within flash sync speed. You would then need to worry about aperture/ISO instead. If you need to use flash then you are in another entirely different spot.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Since I have no idea about your actual photographic experience, I'll say use auto, keep your iso below 800 and don't be afraid to use the flash in auto. Very important: SHOOT RAW + Jpeg, this way, if the colour balance gets weird because of mixed light, you can try to make it worse in post processing :). When you use your flash, take your lens shade OFF unless you're using an external flash on the hot shoe.

Ask your coworker what shots he wants (parents, rings, beauty shots of the bouquet, the bride etc). Because even if his expectations are not high, there might be some shots that he finds more important than others. And if you don't take those, your work relationship might get blasted by your free contribution to his wedding.

Good luck.

juanb1203

Thanks everyone for the advice, I've heard that the lighting is pretty good in this building, so I feel good about that. I just want to be sure that the photos don't come out blurry, I can deal with just about anything else, but that!

Mike D90

Thanks everyone for the advice, I've heard that the lighting is pretty good in this building, so I feel good about that. I just want to be sure that the photos don't come out blurry, I can deal with just about anything else, but that!

If the light is indeed good, but I would still make certain of that, keep your shutter speed up at or above 1/125th sec, keep aperture a couple or three stops above wide open so you can keep both of the couple in focus and focus on their eyes. Watch for clutter in the background and you should do ok.