Snow covered brush

cmsouvign2

This shot was taken yesterday while I was out and about. I was looking for something different this time and found this wonderful bush that caught my eye.With this snow it is hard to photograph anything other than trees covered in snow or bushes, I was looking for an effect that was just a new thing for me. I am hoping to be able to go out today and find something just exciting other than this yucky snow. Thank you in advance for your comments and I appreciate you taking the time to take a look

Attachments

• ice covered bush.jpg
    ice covered bush.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 749

ohkphoto

Snow White
This is actually a very beautiful shot! What post processing/photo-editing program do you use? And what camera did you shoot this with?

cmsouvign2

This is actually a very beautiful shot! What post processing/photo-editing program do you use? And what camera did you shoot this with?

Helene
I used CS5 for editing and I used my coolpix S6000. But in a couple of weeks I will have the d3000 from Rick (axeman) he is upgrading his camera and is going to let me have it I am so excited.
Thank you so much for your comment. I am not really good at taking pictures at least I do not think so. I second guess my shots all the time. And I am afraid of posting them on the boards for the fact that there are so many people much better than me and I do not like to post something that I think is good but others do not see it.

ohkphoto

Snow White
I am not really good at taking pictures at least I do not think so. I second guess my shots all the time.

From what I see, you are much better than you think. Believe me, we all second-guess our shots. This is why we post to the critique, Every photographer needs another eye once in a while. I stare at some of my photos for so long sometimes that I find myself thinking "aw, this is crap!" Yet, I was drawn to make the photo, so I must have seen something. You are among friends here, so never worry or fear posting your photos. We take care of each other here.

May I download your photo and tweak it to show you how you can make it pop and then upload it here again?

cmsouvign2

From what I see, you are much better than you think. Believe me, we all second-guess our shots. This is why we post to the critique, Every photographer needs another eye once in a while. I stare at some of my photos for so long sometimes that I find myself thinking "aw, this is crap!" Yet, I was drawn to make the photo, so I must have seen something. You are among friends here, so never worry or fear posting your photos. We take care of each other here.

May I download your photo and tweak it to show you how you can make it pop and then upload it here again?

Absolutely Helene I do not mind. Your photos are absolutely gorgeous I love looking at them and I am sometimes in awe when I see them.

Joseph Bautsch

I agree with Helene, don't worry about posting your shots. It's a good way to learn. A suggestion is to use cloudy white balance when shooting snow. Otherwise the camera will see it as gray and not white. I don't know if your S6000 has the capability of changing the WB. I know the D3000 does. The shot looks like it was taken in low light. The contrast needs to be tweaked to give the colors more pop. Also consider moving in closer to the branches for a close up. Including too much of the subject dilutes interest. The snow or ice looks like it's growing out of the branches. Moving in to emphasize that aspect will generate more viewer interest in what's there. All this can be done in post processing. Good job. Lets see more of what you can do.

Last edited by a moderator:

ohkphoto

Snow White
Your photos are absolutely gorgeous I love looking at them and I am sometimes in awe when I see them.

Thank you so much for your beautiful comment. It is MUCH appreciated and valued.

Here's your photo the way I think you "saw" the scene. The whole purpose of post-processing is to make the photo look like what we saw when we took the shot.
Very minor adjustments (lightroom or CS5) make a world of difference. I tweaked this in lightroom, but you have the tools to do the same and more there in CS5.
More contrast, more vibrance, and sharpening --now you can see the ice crystals on the snow. NOW we see what you saw when you made the photo.

Very artistic and compositionally perfect! You keep up the good work!

ice%20covered%20bush.jpg

cmsouvign2

Thank you Joseph I will try that more and try to make it pop more.

Helene you just made my day. It was such a cloudy and foggy day when this was shot yesterday. But you made this picture pop so much I love it.. Thank you so much

AxeMan - Rick S.

in a couple of weeks I will have the d3000 from Rick (axeman) he is upgrading his camera

Well I guess our secret is out now. We are turning into a husband and wife team I guess. Least she didn't spill all the beans about my upgrade.

We went out yesterday, I was freestyling. Funny thing is we took a lot of the same shots, and spotted shots together, which is good for her. (She can't drive for medical reasons so she stuck with me) I'm trying to teach her but at the same time make mistakes and learn on her own. She's doing fine and I know you people here will talk care of her while I'm sleeping during the day, and I can help her during my waking hours. Expect to see a large improvement when she gets her hands on the D3000, even if she uses it in auto mode which I hope to move her out of quickly and get her into at least aperture mode.

We are planning a road trip next week. Got word that about a half hour away from her there are Eagles nesting and flying on a riverbank. Hope we can both come back with some good Eagle shots, but we will not have our new cameras yet.

01-30-11
Road trip update, Cancelled
They just put us under a blizzard watch for Tuesday & Wednesday. Right now forecasting 12+ inches maybe more that's a major storm for us. So for right now postponing the road trip till next Wednesday.

Last edited: