Travel tripod/head wanted

Jonathan

I have my "serious" tripod/head and I have my travel tripod/head but I find my needs have changed (ha!). I also have a monopod for walkng trips. What I am now after is a tripod (I guess I can use an existing head) that is incredibly lightweight, will support my D7100 WITH battery grip, 18-300 lens and TC but scrunch up into something no longer than 1ft to go sideways on the bottom of my rucksack and not jut out or 1.5ft to go down the outside. Money no option.

Suggestions?

wev

Contributor
I was going to post the same -- it is not very tall at 56.5" full open (I'm 6' 7"), but it is rated for 20 lb equipment load. I have heard a couple of good opinions from friends.

Jonathan

Dudes, good input. I'm a short 6'5" with a bad back so I prefer to avoid bending. Checking it out, though (and I know this is a tall order - no pun intended).

Geoffc

I spent a while looking at travel tripods a while ago and got the Benro travel angel. Jake has the Mefoto version which is very similar. It's slightly longer than your requirement but not much. I shoot it with my D800 on it and it's fine. It can also make a walking pole or monopod so it's flexible for trips.

The Velbon UT43 folds slightly smaller but I preferred the build and flexibility of the Benro.

BackdoorArts

As Geoff said, the Benro/MeFOTO is a nice tripod, but doesn't quite come close to the 1 ft. folded length you're looking for (I believe this goes to about 16.5"). There aren't a lot that will give you the combination of strength and compactness while also extended to something comfortable enough for someone of your height to use.

Jonathan

Thanks again, all. I shall look at the Benro, and see if my local has it. This is something that ain't time-critical so I'd like to take my time and get the real deal. I'll keep y'all posted.