Macro lenses.

MAMF

What is the best place for a decent/cheap D3200 macro lens?

I am not a professional so do not want to pay £185 which is the cheapest I have seen.

Scott Murray

What is the best place for a decent/cheap D3200 macro lens?

I am not a professional so do not want to pay £185 which is the cheapest I have seen.
What do you want to use it for? What are your current lenses?
A Raynox DCR-250 closeup filter may be what you are after.

Revet

I started with the closeup filters. They served their purpose for a while but I eventually got a Tamron 60mm macro lens which I just love (I tried both the 60 and 90mm and liked the 60 better because the 90mm has an extendable housing which I found frightened the little critters I was photographing). It is also a great portrait lens which you can't do with the closeup lens. The Tamron is costs more than you want to spent; the closeup lens are cheap so nothing lost if you start with those but If you end up doing a lot with macro, you will end up with a dedicated macro lens. I think you will find that screwing on all the different combinations of closeup lens (usually 3 to a kit) and fighting with focusing and depth of field problems will send you into a pricier macro lens real quick.

Scott Murray

I still use close up filters on my 50mm 1.4 my leichardt grasshopper was taken with a 50mm 1.4 and Raynox DCR-250 and homemade diffuser.

SHM_9141_zps3f18fa9f.jpg

Last edited:

Revet

Just curious, Has anyone tried using close up filters on a macro lens?? I would imagine you have an extremely tiny depth of field range which would make it difficult but I would be interested to see the magnification achieved. Unfortunately my closeup filters were for a different lens so I can't fit them on the macro (I would assume there is an adapter for that though).

Scott Murray

Just curious, Has anyone tried using close up filters on a macro lens?? I would imagine you have an extremely tiny depth of field range which would make it difficult but I would be interested to see the magnification achieved. Unfortunately my closeup filters were for a different lens so I can't fit them on the macro (I would assume there is an adapter for that though).
I use a Raynox DCR-250 on my 90mm tamron macro and I get some good results if I can make enough light available.

Revet

Cool, thanks, I think I will have to try that if I can find an adapter to fit my close-ups on my macro (might be cheaper to use buy new close up filters!!)

Vixen

You could get a cheap set of extension tubes too. Don't bother with getting AF ones since you'll be manual focussing anyway ;)