Help!

Shanny

Hi everyone,
I have recently got a D700 full frame camera. I have a Tamron 28-75mm Di lens.
For some reason this lens acts like an 18-50mm.
At 75mm zoom, objects look as normal like a 50mm and at 28mm it seems like 18mm.
What is going on??? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks.
Matt

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
So, you probably were using your 28-75 on a DX camera. Your DX camera's sensor was smaller than the FX sensor of your D700. Having a larger sensor means that you get a larger field of view from you FX. The lenses focal lengths don't change between sensor formats, but you get a larger view with the larger sensor. You can see what you get with certain lenses in different sensor format at Nikon's lens comparator website.

Many people get confused with this subject and there has been many battles on different forums. The simplest comparaison I can think of is the window. The distance from a viewer and a window could be compared with the focal length of the lens. The window size with the sensor format. Now, if you stand at the same distance from the window and you put a mask on the window making it smaller (DX sensor), the objects will be the same size, but you won't see as wide. So, the size of the objects don't change, but you have a narrower field of view while looking in the smaller window. The problem happens with photography when you make the same size prints from both format with the same lens. The image made from the smaller sensor will have to be enlarged more to get the same size print, giving impression that the objects are bigger than on the FX format. But, if you were to take both format and enlarge them by the same factor, you'd get a smaller print with DX and then the objects would be the exact same size.

So don't worry, your D700 is normal and will give you many years of great photography.

I hope this helped a bit.

Mike D90

Hi everyone,
I have recently got a D700 full frame camera. I have a Tamron 28-75mm Di lens.
For some reason this lens acts like an 18-50mm.
At 75mm zoom, objects look as normal like a 50mm and at 28mm it seems like 18mm.
What is going on??? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks.
Matt

Get used to what the lens really shows you. No DX crop factor effect anymore.