New Wide Angle lens to add to my collection!?

Rebekahxx

So I need some advice.
I've got a good little collection of lens's going in my little kit. I want to add a wide angle in so I can start taking some nice landscape shots when I'm out and about on my travels but I'm just clueless as which is a good one to go for to start with. I don't really have a massive budget so advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RON_RIP

I favor the Tokina 11-16 but do not know if it would fit in your budget. i believe there is one for sale in our marketplace.

Mike D90

So I need some advice.
I've got a good little collection of lens's going in my little kit. I want to add a wide angle in so I can start taking some nice landscape shots when I'm out and about on my travels but I'm just clueless as which is a good one to go for to start with. I don't really have a massive budget so advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Wide angle definition covers a lot of focal length lenses. For landscape you don't need a really wide lens. Something down to 18mm or even a 28mm would do landscapes just perfectly. Once you start getting below 18mm length the price escalates very quickly.

Rebekahxx

Wide angle definition covers a lot of focal length lenses. For landscape you don't need a really wide lens. Something down to 18mm or even a 28mm would do landscapes just perfectly. Once you start getting below 18mm length the price escalates very quickly.

I've noticed that too. I have my 18-55mm kit lens but I don't find it very sharp. It's quite soft and I find it hard to get a nice crisp image with it

Mike D90

I've noticed that too. I have my 18-55mm kit lens but I don't find it very sharp. It's quite soft and I find it hard to get a nice crisp image with it

I found mine to be the same so I sold it and got the 18-70mm AF-S DX lens used, and very nice like new, for under $125 and it is tack sharp and just as fast as the 18-55mm.

Last edited:

Rebekahxx

I found mine to be the same so I sold it and got the 18-70mm AF-S DX lens used, and very nice like new, for under $125 and it is tack sharp and just as fast as the 18-55mm.

I'm quite new to photography. I've been doing it for about a year and a half and I'm still learning so I don't want to blow money on a expensive lens and not like/use it so I'll give the 18-70 a look at! :)

Mike D90

Here is a snippet and a link to a review by a well respected photog guy Thom Hogan. It is why I bought the lens.

18-70mm AF-S DX Lens Review by Thom Hogan

Thom Hogan said:
[h=4][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Performance[/FONT][/h] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I alluded to it before, so let's cut to the chase: on almost every performance parameter this is an excellent lens. The lone exception is vignetting.

[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sharpness is excellent throughout the range, with f/8 being the point of maximum sharpness on my sample pretty much across the entire focal length range. Even at f/3.5 (or 4.5 at the tele end) in the corners this lens remains an very good performer--much better than you'd expect for the price. I'd be more comfortable about using this lens wide open if it weren't for the vignetting, but if you're a Capture user and shoot NEF, you can safely ignore that comment, as Capture's Vignette control handles this lens perfectly.[/FONT]

aroy

If you are not averse to manual focus lenses then the 28mmf2.8 is one of the best wide angles you can carry. It is small and sharp with a solid build. You can get it at quite a reasonable price pre-owned or get a brand new one (yes it is still manufactured and sold by Nikon)

Last edited:

SteveH

I'm in the same boat as you, Rebekah - I'm going to Garmisch in Bavaria later this year and want a nice wide lens for mountain landscapes. I'm looking at renting the Nikkor 10-24 AFS for my D3100, which for 10 days will cost around £65-70.
So if you aren't sure, why not rent a couple of different models and try them out in you own time before splashing the cash?

Steve