Portrait Lenses

Mfrankfort

What camera do you have? If money isn't an option, can't beat the 24-70,70-200 combo with a 50/85 1.8. A lot of people like the 50mm.. I've seen a lot of people use a 300mm... so really just depends on a lot of things. Mainly the camera. What camera are you using? Fill out your profile! haha. I should be an admin. ;)

Ironwood

This thread has been posted in the D3200 forum, so I assume thats the body that the OP is using.
But yes, having your profile filled out benefits everybody.

Englischdude

more info required. budget, what kind of portraits do you want to shoot, should the lens also be suitable for other purposes, sport etc etc. I achieve for example positive results with the 50mm on my crop saensor camera, however living in an apartment even this focal length can get a bit cramped and I struggle for space between myself and subject, then I take a 35mm. Under these conditions for example an 85mm would be impossible. The more specific information you give, the more accurate answer you will get here on the forum.

ShootRaw

The Sigma 50mm-150mm 2.8 Os is great on Dx..Of course it really can only be use on DX..lol
Anyway, this is the best bang for the buck for portraits and versatility...Check out the thread that Ironwood linked you too..The more I shoot with that lens,I will be adding photos onto that thread...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I seriously think that you'd need more than one lens to cover the situations you mentioned. The one that would cover most of times would be either the Nikon 17-55 2.8, or the Tamron 17-50 2.8. The Tamron being about 1/3 of the Nikon price... If not, you'd have to get the 35 1.8, 50 1.8 and 85 1.8 all Nikons. The choice is your's and your budget's.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I have a D3200 and my budget is around $500

Then I think you'd be happy with the Tamron 17-50 2.8. It seems to be the only one that fits in your budget.

Or, just get a great SB700 flash and use your present lens... And the 50 1.8 G...

Dave_W

The Dude
My suggestion is to get a lens with an aperture of 1.8 or larger. The 50mm at ~$200 comes to mind. Fast lenses like these will give you the narrowest DoF (very popular in portrait/wedding photography) and larger aperture lenses tend to give better bokeh.