HDR Question

Rick M

When taking photos at 3 different exposures:

Can you use the exposure compensation button/control (D3100) or do you have to adjust speed/aperature for each shot?

Is the exposure compensation control actually changing speed/aperature or is it SIMULATING a change?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I used the bracket function. You can determine in advance how much under and over exposure you want, how many shots you want to take and then just take the shots and the exposure changes automatically between themselves. At least this is how I did it with the D7000.
But you can do it manually, too. Just take readings or sample shots for highlights and some for shadows and then remember the settings and do the shots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick M

Thanks guys, unfortunately my camera does not have bracketing so I'll use manual mode. The link was very informative, speed being the only variable.

Now I just need to become a student (or borrow one) so I can get the software cheap!

Rick M

Oops, looks like I posted this thread in the wrong forum! (thought I was in general photoghrapy, perhaps a moderator can move it).

I wonder how long until a DSLR comes out that will have an auto HDR mode, which brackets and merges without software.