spec on lens that only appears wih mostly closed aperture

steelsteed

Hi, I received a Nice New Nikon D5200 with dual lens bundle for my Xmas present. It has been totally awesome so far, except one of my lens's is showing a spec of something(dirt?) that is ruining my photos. It is happening with the zoom lens, a "AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED" lens. When the aperture is closed >F-11 the spec appears in my photos. when its nice and open like F-5.6 then there is no problem at all. It only seems to happen with this lens, and it doesnt happen with the other lens. This makes me think its not dirt on the camera side ? Am I wrong in this assumption? Any ideas of what this problem might be ? I have visually looked at the lens and cant see dirt on either side of it. Thanks, Steed.

Scott Murray

Hi, I received a Nice New Nikon D5200 with dual lens bundle for my Xmas present. It has been totally awesome so far, except one of my lens's is showing a spec of something(dirt?) that is ruining my photos. It is happening with the zoom lens, a "AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED" lens. When the aperture is closed >F-11 the spec appears in my photos. when its nice and open like F-5.6 then there is no problem at all. It only seems to happen with this lens, and it doesnt happen with the other lens. This makes me think its not dirt on the camera side ? Am I wrong in this assumption? Any ideas of what this problem might be ? I have visually looked at the lens and cant see dirt on either side of it. Thanks, Steed.

Sounds like there is something on the sensor.

Mike D90

I would think that the spec only appearing when the aperture is closed, higher depth of field, it would be a spec on the lens somewhere.

However, test for dust on the sensor as well. Take a photo of a white wall filling the viewfinder with white. Use both lenses. If it is a sensor spec it will show up on both photos.