Carl Zeiss [Vintage] Prime Lenses

Waxed

I have been going gaga over MF Carl Zeiss Prime Lenses - 50mm Pancolar 1.8, 55mm Pancolar 1.4, Ultron 50mm 1.8 and others. Just wanted to know if how forum members rate them before committing to buying a few. And is their Bokeh and Sharpness really all that...

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have been going gaga over MF Carl Zeiss Prime Lenses - 50mm Pancolar 1.8, 55mm Pancolar 1.4, Ultron 50mm 1.8 and others. Just wanted to know if how forum members rate them before committing to buying a few. And is their Bokeh and Sharpness really all that...

Zeiss lenses are definetely sharp. The only set back is that you have to use MF only. Some people's eye sight doesn't work that well so they are not for everybody.

I only have one Zeiss lens and it is the 135mm f2 APO. I didn't do any testing before buying one except that I just took the word of my friend who has the 100mm f2 and 135mm f2.

I started a thread below to show some image samples. Bokeh is subjective, so let me know what you think about the bokeh and sharpness.

http://nikonites.com/prime/10238-zeiss-135mm-f-2-0-apo-sonnar-zf-2-lens.html#axzz2sfud7Lkl

Last edited:

SkvLTD

Make sure you get a good adapter for one of these if they're not in the F-mount already. Also, I'd look into a split-prism focusing screen to take most of the guessing work out of your shots, especially towards the evenings.