It's never the same

Rick M

You can't go back, not always. Now that I've been back into photography for a few years, I'm remembering how impossible it is to recapture that almost perfect shot. I find myself going back to some spots expecting to do better, when I actually did my best the first time around. It is amazing how photography captures that split second in time that can rarely be reproduced.

I've returned to the same falls year after year thinking to get something "greater" only to end up with something different, not better. Sometimes that first shot was the best, yet I methodically return for "perfection" I may never obtain. I guess it's a bit of an obsession and we are perfectionists?

I'll bet some of you do the same (or maybe I'm just crazy)?

Mfrankfort

I do that. I'll sit around taking 100 pictures of the same thing to get a "better" picture, and I just get something different. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Rick M

So much comes down to lighting, since it is always different. I must capture the perfect moment, but I may have already and the light will never be the same.

Mfrankfort

We're creatures of habit. We could spend 4 hours taking pictures of 1 thing, and still not be happy. Even if everyone thinks it's perfect, it can always be better. haha. Just a little more light, just a little less light.. more/less DOF... We're never happy. haha

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I've tried this a few times but wound up not obtaining anything I liked better than the first photo. Don't play mind games with yourself though. ;) When this happens, perhaps we are to realize we need to change direction to continue growing in our ability.

RockyNH_RIP

Rick, I do the same with 2 of my favorite locations... One, well in my eyes I got the perfect shot, lighting, clouds, sky and reflections were all there.. Been back, done good but never that good... different as you mentioned... The other location... well, before was never the best it could be. I have gone back and got one of my better shots there with ice etc in the waters..

I think you are right!! :) But I keep going back!! ...

Pat in NH

Philnz

You can't go back, not always. Now that I've been back into photography for a few years, I'm remembering how impossible it is to recapture that almost perfect shot. I find myself going back to some spots expecting to do better, when I actually did my best the first time around. It is amazing how photography captures that split second in time that can rarely be reproduced.

I've returned to the same falls year after year thinking to get something "greater" only to end up with something different, not better. Sometimes that first shot was the best, yet I methodically return for "perfection" I may never obtain. I guess it's a bit of an obsession and we are perfectionists?

I'll bet some of you do the same (or maybe I'm just crazy)?
The only truly perfect shot is the one in your minds eye, when you are looking at the shot that you are about take.
Having said that while I have at times had people say that they like this or that image, no one has ever said. I would love a print of that to hang on my lounge wall. O well maybe one day!!!!!

RON_RIP

Actually Rick, you are crazy, as we all are. We are driven to find that perfect shot, the one just at the edge of our vision. I have gone back and once or twice improved my photo, but it is a rare event. Still and all I will keep on keeping on, as will you, and I'm sure at some point I will see some or the other you all out there striving for that perfect shot.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
What I have noticed is that with better photo software that I use now, makes a significant difference from my previous shots.

I've been using the same lenses and I don't think I can improve more on what I have now. I would like to learn more abouth the features of Photoshop but that will be on my "to do" list later on, probably next year.

Michael J.

This year my goal is to try to take a different look at subjects, see other perspectives of what I will shoot and trying to photographing things not take to much snaps.

Thanks Rick for this thread, it gives me a look behind the soul of the members on this board. This mean I get inspiration for my future captures.

weebee

It wasn't until shortly after joining up here that I really started looking into PS. I mean, I've had photo shop 3 for ever. Along with Jasc and a couple others. But never used them for more then sizing or cropping. This evil board has made me spend lord knows how much money and I'm loving it. I feel I'm getting better as time goes on. The perfect shot? I think the perfect shot for me is when family or friends ask who took it and they say they like it. I'm my own toughest critic. At home, work, or play. I have surprised myself at times with a picture I took. I guess this ol fart can learn something new after all.

Scott Murray

I agree Rick, I remember a trip I did through the Kimberleys in Western Australia with my D80. I now want to do the same trip with the gear I have now. Back then I spent 5 weeks travelling, should I do it again (maybe). Will I do it again (most likely) :)