Picking starting point *OTHER THAN* DSC_001...

twopups2

Hi All, I have been Googe-ling different variations of this question for 10 minutes now and can't seem to get my wording right, so figured I'd post a quick question here. This presumably applies to just about every other camera / storage device out there...

Is there a way to start the file-names from Memory Cards at a specific number?? i.e. instead of DSC_0001 how about DSC_2000...

The reason I ask is b/c we have years of photos from our previous camera -- all from DSC_0001 to DSC_1999, let's say...

I don't want to have to be cognizant of overwriting 'old' DSC_0001 from the old camera with 'new' DSC_0001 with the new D3200...

Make sense?

I'll continue to search and post a response here, if I come up with a definitive answer...

Thanks, and cheers,

Mike

BackdoorArts

Unfortunately you cannot, you can only choose to reset the counter back to 0001. Like Scott, I use a custom prefix on mine so I can avoid running into collisions when loading photos from 3 different cameras (D600 = 'D6x', D800 = 'D8x', IR converted D7000 = 'IRx' where the x changes every 10K shots to avoid collisions with itself).

twopups2

Thanks, guys -- happen to know how to change the prefix on a D3200??

I've scoured the User Manual and it seems it's set at DSC_xxxx, starting at 0001. FWIW I can't even find how to re-set it back to 0001...

= (

Thanks, again...

twopups2

Great info, but it seems I don't have that option in my Shooting Menu...

I do have a 'File Number Sequence' under my Setup Menu (just below Shooting Menu) and it's an 'On / Off / Reset' option -- I'll fiddle with it to check...

EDIT: Found some good info here:

https://www.inkling.com/read/dummie...g-1st/chapter-1/customizing-your-camera-setup

Will see if that 'File Number Sequence' option allows me to re-name or re-number my pics...

Thanks!

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Great info, but it seems I don't have that option in my Shooting Menu...

I do have a 'File Number Sequence' under my Setup Menu (just below Shooting Menu) and it's an 'On / Off / Reset' option -- I'll fiddle with it to check...

EDIT: Found some good info here:

https://www.inkling.com/read/dummie...g-1st/chapter-1/customizing-your-camera-setup

Will see if that 'File Number Sequence' option allows me to re-name or re-number my pics...

Thanks!

That option will either auto-reset the file sequence to 0001 every time you turn on the camera (not recommended as it makes for LOTS of duplicate file names - my D90 was set this way when I got it and drove me crazy until I figured out what's what), and is where you'd reset the counter manually. From Ken Rockwell (who I normally don't quote, but he susses out the various menus online, which is nice)...

File Number Sequence

Set this ON. It defaults to OFF due to a firmware defect.

If left OFF, files will start at 0001.JPG every time a card is formatted, or a blank card is inserted.

If left off, as time goes on you will have a hundred files with the same number, like DSC_0024.JPG on your hard drive, and never be able to search or catalog them properly.

By setting this to ON, the D3200 numbers files up to DSC_9999.JPG, and only then does it repeat. This prevents too much file name duplication on your hard drive, or on your online galleries.

Unfortunately, as an entry level offering Nikon has allowed the D3200 to go without some of cool things you kind of expect on a DSLR (like exposure bracketing), and it seems to lack the prefix option as well.