Snowy dock/lake scene

Keen Ai

zRIV7f7.jpg

Curious what you guys think of this one - composition comments, exposure, etc. It was fairly heavily processed from the original version, but here are the specs:

1/320 sec at f/22, ISO 320
16mm with a Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6

was f/22 too much for this photo? I probably should have used ISO 100 but again, I wasn't paying attention (BLAST!). I don't have a graduated ND filter.

Thanks for any comments/criticisms/complements!

Scott Murray

I think I would have liked to see the dock used as leading lines into the photo. And f/11 may have been enough. You could try to do a HDR image and take 2 -3 exposures and combine them?

Keen Ai

I think I would have liked to see the dock used as leading lines into the photo. And f/11 may have been enough. You could try to do a HDR image and take 2 -3 exposures and combine them?

I still haven't gotten into the HDR thing yet... just haven't had much luck with the technique... everything looks too fake or there are problems in specific areas of the photos that I don't like, so I've kept that out of my thinking for now. Perhaps I'll eventually find enough utility in it to start working with the technique. :)

I should have tried the dock as leading lines as you suggest to see how that turned out. I was hoping the tracks in the snow and the downward ramp would do that. Like so many of my shots recently, maybe I would have thought of these things had I not been frozen by -20 F wind chill values. :D