Switched from Canon to Nikon for Dental Photography. Advice needed!

eflowz

Hello. I'm a dentist and I've been using a canon setup with twin flash and custom bracket with bouncers to take photos of my patient's teeth... I decided to upgrade to a full frame DSLR and switched to Nikon with the same setup (twin flash, bouncers..). I've noticed that all the Nikon images have a much cooler color temp. First pic is from my canon 60D. Second is Nikon D610. I think I prefer the Canon. Any suggestions on how to adjust the white balance to give it some more warmth? (I've tried custom WB and Color temps 5500-5800K, but still too cool.)
IMG_2524_04662.JPG

DSC_0069_05863.JPG

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Which software are you using? With Adobe photoshop, you can just slide the temperature and adjust as necessary.

For SOOC, you can adjust the WB by pressing the WB button and rotate the front wheel (sub dial) to A1 or A2. That works for jpg.

eflowz

Thanks for the input. I guess photoshop is the easiest way to get the WB I need. I was trying to do it through the camera since I dont like post processing..

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Thanks for the input. I guess photoshop is the easiest way to get the WB I need. I was trying to do it through the camera since I dont like post processing..

You can make it warmer if you follow what I just mentioned. Look at the top camera LCD. A1 - A5 I believe which will make your jpeg images warmer provided that you are using a flash in Auto white balance.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Since you wrote that you're not too found of post processing, I would suggest you use lightroom or Aperture (Mac) test it out to get the color temperature you like and then "Save" your setting and make it permanent in your post processing program. This way, every time you'll transfer your images you'll have the same result. Nikon's ViewNX2 could probably be configured to do just this as well, or even the in-camera settings could be made permanent for your use. Good luck and welcome to Nikonites.