Here is a photo of my car and a friends. This is on Loveland Pass, CO

EXIF
D3100
18-55 f/3.5-5.6
34mm
1/500
f/6.3
ISO: 400

It is one my favorite photos I have shot, but still want to hear other peoples feedback. All I can think of is using a higher f stop to focus in the background just a touch more, maybe f/8. Also I wish I rolled my window up before the shot, but I was irritated with having some car issues very far from home and wasn't really in the mood to shoot. But got to the hotel and realized I had actually gotten this and a few other shots I was really proud of. So that brightened my mood.

Anyways and comments or critique would be awesome! Thanks!

wev

Contributor
Are you selling the cars or the background? If the former, I would have gone down, not up.

Mother always said: roll up your windows.

Nice shot generally.

Tyler

Are you selling the cars or the background? If the former, I would have gone down, not up.

Mother always said: roll up your windows.

Nice shot generally.

Backdrop wasn't the right word lol this is on loveland pass, Colorado. Those are real mountains lol neither car is for sale but money talks.

I also thought about going down but when I printed this on a big canvas I wished I would have done either or it looked a little off.

I know! The window bugs me so much but I was trying to listen to my car lol

Last edited:

Keen Ai

I kinda like the window open like that, it gives the car a bit more character and playfulness, but that's just me. I think this shot would look cool with the mountains crisp. I know stopping down can result in unwanted loss in sharpness, but if you're goal is to print a canvas I think the effect would be negligible and you could get better sharpness on the mountains at say f/16 or f/22. You probably would have needed a tripod for that, and maybe more work than you were looking to do at the time, but there you have it. Hindsight 20/20, right? :D Also, the sky looks pretty cool at that moment - a lot of texture in the low clouds. I probably would have included just a bit more of that, slaving to the rule of thirds so that 1/3 of your pic is car, 1/3 mountain and 1/3 sky. As is, it looks a little scrunched down to me, but of course that's just my opinion and we all have our own little artistic opinions. :)
Nice shot overall, I hope that window doesn't bother you too much for the life of that canvas :D