D610 or d800

Just-Clayton

I got permission to get a new camera. I will have enough to jump into a 610 or do I wait and save the extra for the 800. The 610 sounds good. I have enough lenses for fx to start. 35,50,35-70,70-300, 24mm and 28mm manual. I would also sell my 3100 with the 18-55 for a few bucks. I will keep my 300s. I want to get better low light for night shots. The 300 isn't cutting it. But, for day shots and speed she does great! Let's here some feed back. Also the 610 seems a little less beefier then the 300. Is it bigger then the 3100?

caveman

For i was going to get the 610 but i didnt like the lay out of the buttens,The d800 is more like the d300s.So i got the D800 i know me if i had got the D600/610 I would not of been happy with the lay out.And then would go and get the 800.

Both are great it is just what works best for you.My D300S will be here for a long time love it.

Ruidoso Bill

I went from a D300 to a D800 and the camera feels the same in my hands. I also picked up a nice D700 and passed my D300 along to a granddaughter. Seems that all of that series D100,200,300,700 and 800 are all the same basic body style, exactly what I like and prefer.

Just-Clayton

I was also looking at a 700. Prices are good. But, most I have seen have high actuation. A friend has one and she said I could try it out.

RON_RIP

Well you always had our permission but I guess you had to appeal to a higher power. From everything I hear the 800 is the way to go. It would sure be good if you could go somewhere you could handle both cameras and then you would know which one best suited to you. Best of luck, whichever you choose.

Deezey

I went with the D610 over the D800. The D610 is basically the same size as the D7000. Its just slightly bigger than my D90. If you are choosing between those two. It will basically boil down to button and menu layout. Build quality is also a bit better on the D800.

From what I could tell both sensors do an outstanding job. Of course you have more pixels to play with on the D800. Fast shutter, and better bracketing.

But....i wouldn't buy the D800 over the D610 because the D610 met my needs. Also one camera won't be sharper than the other from test shots I have seen. I would really consider the little bump in price and go D800E.

For me the pics jump was too great for the added features. But for the D800E I believe it is completely worth it.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Just-Clayton

Buttons aren't an issue. I was looking for sharper images. Since, I do a lot of macro. I am set for some weddings and like I said before, I love my 300s she just doesn't do well in low light. She gets a little noisy after ISO 800. She just isn't a night person. My 3100 does fine in low light but, just a little small and slow for me.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The 610 and an 85 1.8 would cost about the same thing as the 800 alone. You might get better low light performance with the 1.8 lens than with a 800 and a 2.8 lens...

I use the 600 and 700 and both are extremely great for low light and high iso.

You can't go wrong with any of the two, but an extra lens is worth more than a bit more definition. Specially when you think about how often you will be printing billboards.

Billy Y.

I don't know what lenses you are using, but they play the largest part in sharp images, only after I had good glass would I worry about the pixel count. That being said the D800/800E does render unbelievable amounts of detail, at quite larger file sizes though. I had a D800 that I got ride of due to the slow file processing, and although I loved being able to crop and still have a good file size, It wasn't really needed for most of my shooting. When I look at the 2 cameras the D610 actually seems like what I would want between the two, but it really depends on you and what you are shooting plus the print sizes that you need.

Just-Clayton

I was planning to do it this way myself. Sell my 3100 and 1 lens and get the 610. I was looking into the 105mm 2.8 micro and selling my 85mm DX micro.
The 610 and an 85 1.8 would cost about the same thing as the 800 alone. You might get better low light performance with the 1.8 lens than with a 800 and a 2.8 lens...

I use the 600 and 700 and both are extremely great for low light and high iso.

You can't go wrong with any of the two, but an extra lens is worth more than a bit more definition. Specially when you think about how often you will be printing billboards.

caveman

Like i said both are great it is what works best for you.Or feels right.It is your cash please dont take what i say with out some salt,it is just my .02 cents.

Just-Clayton

My 2 important lenses I have are the 35mm 1.2D and my 50mm 1.4D. I said earlier I want to get the 105mm 2.8d macro in place of the 85mm DX macro I have. I also have a manual 24mm vivitar 2.8 and 28mm nikon 3.5. This is just a start. I plan to save up for a 70-200mm 2.8 next, after the camera purchase. I am just glad my wife supports me on my purchases. My photos are a hit in the area. I just need to advance. So, I might as well go slow and easy and get the items I need rather then jump into an expensive camera upgrade. So, I will probably get the 610 and a lens. over the 800 and no cash left for a lens, let alone food for the table. I can't enjoy the camera if i don't have the lenses to put on it.

Just-Clayton

You r opinion helps. I am doing the same thing I did when I got my 3100. I hemmed and hawed for weeks on what to get. At that time it was going between different brands of cameras, not just models. Now, I am weighing every ones opinion on what model. More then likely I will hem and haw for a few weeks. Right now the button placement: not a problem. I go back and forth from my 3100 and 300 without a problem. I want a different macro lens, can't get it sooner if I get the 800 and I can't start saving for 70-200 if I get the 800 now. The scale is starting to tilt to the 610 and next year who knows. One can only dream. I just feel I can get better pictures in some instances with a full frame.
Like i said both are great it is what works best for you.Or feels right.It is your cash please dont take what i say with out some salt,it is just my .02 cents.

Scott Murray

I have both as you know and yes the different button layout does annoy me at times but its not enough to sell the D600. If you are not after huge file sizes and to print large then the D600/610 is the way to go (you can still print pretty big). The advantage the D800/E has is that you can crop and still have great detail this is especially handy with macros.

If you ask me which one I use most I would say its the D800E as I just like it :)

BackdoorArts

Man, it's so hard to recommend one because they are both great cameras, and there are things about each that I wish were on the other camera. For example, the D800 is great for wildlife and sports because you have a better usable reach since shooting in DX mode you still get 16MP's. But the D610 shoots at 6 fps while the D800 maxes out at 4 fps in RAW mode, which is a PITA when you want to shoot a 7 or 9 frame HDR series and are handholding for 2 seconds. I prefer the low light/high ISO performance on the D600/610, but love the resolution on the D800 for things like macro photography. I have no issues with IQ on either, though I find the D600/610 to be a little smoother.

Because of the reach and resolution, and the sturdier construction, if I had to go with one and only one body I'd go with the D800, though I'd opt for the 'e' version if I had to do it all over again.

I'd go to the NikonUSA site and use the compare tool with the D800e, D610 and the D300s, and run down the range of features and see where the similarities are to your D300 where that is important, and which of the others win out in the other categories. Coming from a D300 I think you'll likely be happier with the feel of the D800e, but if what comes out of the camera is as/more important then it's down to features.