I had forgotten about this image............

STM

I took this last year and kind of forgot about it. I did things a little differently with this image than I had with other ultra-close-ups in the past. I still shot it in my light tent, but rather than using strobes to the sides and top like I usually do, I used my almost 40 year old Vivitar ring light instead. I used my PB-6 bellows but placed my Nikon BR-6 on the bayonet side of my reversed 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor and used it as the sole light source. I am not really sure I like the results, they look too much like direct flash for my liking. We have tons of these little buggers in our flower beds because I hatched a bunch of them from eggs 2 years ago.

Attachments

• Mantis.jpg
    Mantis.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 97

STM

Scary looking guy. My step-dad got a little kit to grow these guys. Then they got out, so they were all around the house, lol.

Once the population gets established, it is self sustaining. They are everywhere and we have no bugs in our gardens anywhere. You have to be careful handling them though because their front legs are sharp as a razor and they WILL cut your fingers!

Mfrankfort

They were in the garage, so they're just kind of hanging out around the house, and around the garden, lol. I don't live there anymore, but it's pretty funny seeing one hanging on the house.