AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm 1:35-5.6 lens

Blackbelly

I have been using this lens ever since it came out and absolutely love its versatility, but I am afraid that it is not the sharpest lens around. Can anyone tell me whether or not they believe the same? If so, can you recommend a better, similar lens? I often find myself needing to use the Photoshop and Aperture sharpening tools.

Mike D90

I would suggest the 70-300mm VR if budget allows but even that lens has its limitations at either extreme range of zoom.

Blackbelly

Mike, is the 18-70mm really a LOT better than my 18-200 in the 18mm range? And the 70-300mm really a lot better in the 200 range? The convenience of having it all in the one 18-200 lens is just hard to give up!

Mike D90

Mike, is the 18-70mm really a LOT better than my 18-200 in the 18mm range? And the 70-300mm really a lot better in the 200 range? The convenience of having it all in the one 18-200 lens is just hard to give up!

I am afraid I cannot comment on that. I have never used the 18-200mm lens. I have always been in the camp that the more focal length range a zoom has the more it may be prone to IQ loss at extreme ranges and aberrations. I may be incorrect though.

I got the 18-70mm lens because of Tom Hogan's review of lenses in that range and it was tested as sharp everywhere even though it is a cheaper lens. I got the 70-300mm VR because I cannot afford to go into Nikon's professional line of long lenses.

Geoffc

The 18-200 (I had one) is a good lens and produces quite sharp images on a bright day. Unfortunately being a zoom with such range and not being a fast lens it starts to show weakness in poor light. If you want something better you are probably going to lose the versatility and get something in the 17-50 F2.8 range such as the Tamron, Sigma or Nikon options. I haven't used them so can't recommend one over the other.

I have used the 18-70 and I don't personally think it's a big enough improvement to answer your problem. If it's it's in a particular use maybe a prime would sort the problem and the various 1.8G lenses all offer great bang for your buck.

I won't show this thread to my wife as she won't ever part with her 18-200.