Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM A Nikon

Nathan Lanni

I've been looking at a lot of shots I've taken w/ my 18-200mm, including landscapes, cars, architecture and many are within the 18 -35 mm range.

So I've been toying with getting a dedicated wide angle lens with better IQ than my current 2 lenses the DX 18-200 mentioned and a FX 35mm /f2D. The D lens is not bad but with my DX camera it's really more like 52.5mm, and at a recent car show I found myself standing about 10 feet back and in everybody way, and waiting for people to walk by. Using a tripod was even less practical. I switched back to my 18-200mm but the IQ is less than the D.

So, I've been toying with the idea of getting the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM A Nikon. DXO scores the lens at 28 for my d7100, and it's Sigma DC class lens suited for APS-C Nikon DX sensors, so the theory is I'd get a true 18-35mm with high IQ.

The problem is this: Reading the March 2014 issue of Shutter and they reviewed this lens, but indicated it would have a viewing angle of 27-52mm for Nikon APS-C cameras. The article also noted that Cannon 60D would have an equivalent viewing angle of 28-56mm.

I realize Sigma has to adapt their mount for Nikon APS-C, but that seems like a pretty significant variance. It sounds like Sigma is really marketing one of their DG series as a DC? At that rate you wonder why rate it at 18-35mm for smaller sensor dslr's.

Last edited:

ShootRaw

It is a great lens..Just get it..One of the best you can get for the D7100...27mm field of view is plenty wide for what you need it for...

gqtuazon

Gear Head
If I was a primarily a DX shooter, I would get one. I do not like the floating and smaller aperture of the kit lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironwood

The focal length doesnt change for FX or DX. A 35mm lens is a 35mm lens is a 35mm lens is a 35mm lens.
Because you are using a cropped sensor you ar just not seeing as much as if you were using a FX sensor.
If you need a wider view than 18-35, buy a 10-20mm lens.
But for your car show, I think the 18-35 would have been perfect.

Nathan Lanni

At the last car show, I screen my shots down to 70 I thought were OK, and of those 40 of were shot at less than 26mm.

Do I need to adapt my style of shooting?

mauckcg

Not really, most of my car show/race pit shots are from 17mm to about 40mm with my Sigma 17-70 C. In the next few weeks I am going to pick a 18-35 before I go to Sebring.

Rick M

You just need a wider lens for a Dx sensor. Tokina 11-16, nikon 10-24 and sigma 10-20 are the top choices and probably in that order.

Cee Fish

I recently splurged and picked up a (used/mint) Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 for my D7100. The IQ is worlds better than the 18-200mm VR.
The working range is also much better for the type of shooting you're talking about.

We have a pretty good weekly car show here in Scottsdale, the 17-55 is a perfect lens to walk around with.

After the first outing with the 17-55, I sold off the 18-200.

Nathan Lanni

I recently splurged and picked up a (used/mint) Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 for my D7100. The IQ is worlds better than the 18-200mm VR.
The working range is also much better for the type of shooting you're talking about.

We have a pretty good weekly car show here in Scottsdale, the 17-55 is a perfect lens to walk around with.

After the first outing with the 17-55, I sold off the 18-200.

I'll take a look at it.

Thanks

rocketman122

WOW, if I had a dx camera, I would toss my already tossed long time ago 17-55 AFS for the sigma. IQ is STELLAR even at 2.8 its just an amazing lens. and for $800, man thats a steal. the compromise is the zoom length of 2x. if you want IQ and fast AF thats what you have to give up. IQ vs convenience. me? always prefer IQ. the zoom also allows you the option in shooting in darker light because of the faster aperture.

I hope (cmon baby fingers crossed) the 24-70 f/2 OS art can deliver, im tossing my nikon 28-70 AFS. I was even considering getting the sigma to use with my D600 in DX mode. 10mp though. shame.

in your shoes, id toss both lenses and go for the sigma 18-35 and then find a used 70-210 f4 AF to cover the rest. it would easily best anything your current duo can do. your sensor can take advantage of the better optics in both lenses I mentioned. yes the 70-210 is old but sharp as hell.

Last edited:

mauckcg

Is the Tokina AT-X 11-16 PRO DX Nikon focal length actually 11-16mm or is higher as well?

The DX sensor is smaller than an FX sensor. The Nikon's have a crop factor of 1.5 while Canon sensors are a bit smaller and have a 1.6 crop factor. The 11-16 Tokina is a 11-16 because of the way the measurements work, the Nikon will have a 16.5mm-24mm field of view in practice. It's a bit of a pain to keep track of. Just keep in mind the the crop only affects the field of view, not the numbers and that ought to help you keep things straight.

Nathan Lanni

Well I've done research trying to get a handle on what that writer in Shutter mag was saying. I'm guessing he was making reference to full frame "equivalent angle of view".

So if understand his logic, a reverse example is to say a 20mm FX prime on a d610 or D800 provides an angle of view of 94°20'. To get an "equivalent angle of view" using a DX body would require a 13mm DX lens. I just wish he had said FX equivalent angle of view.

Again, I want to thank everyone for your helpful recommendations - there's plenty to think about. :)

mr2_serious

I believe the canon crop is 1.6 vs 1.5 for nikon. That's why you see the difference in field of view(not sure if it is the correct term)

-William :: Tapatalk HTC G2

mauckcg

WOW, if I had a dx camera, I would toss my already tossed long time ago 17-55 AFS for the sigma. IQ is STELLAR even at 2.8 its just an amazing lens. and for $800, man thats a steal. the compromise is the zoom length of 2x. if you want IQ and fast AF thats what you have to give up. IQ vs convenience. me? always prefer IQ. the zoom also allows you the option in shooting in darker light because of the faster aperture.

I hope (cmon baby fingers crossed) the 24-70 f/2 OS art can deliver, im tossing my nikon 28-70 AFS. I was even considering getting the sigma to use with my D600 in DX mode. 10mp though. shame.

in your shoes, id toss both lenses and go for the sigma 18-35 and then find a used 70-210 f4 AF to cover the rest. it would easily best anything your current duo can do. your sensor can take advantage of the better optics in both lenses I mentioned. yes the 70-210 is old but sharp as hell.

Picked up my 18-35 f1.8 yesterday. And so far in the few bad light test shots, it delivers. Tomorrow I'll hit Phipps and the Aviary and see what else it can do.

kluisi

Picked up my 18-35 f1.8 yesterday. And so far in the few bad light test shots, it delivers. Tomorrow I'll hit Phipps and the Aviary and see what else it can do.

You're in Pittsburgh...cool. I grew up there.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Nathan Lanni

Wow, that great! I'd really like to see some images taken with your d7100.

What is your sense of the lens build quality? I'm aware the housing is plastic but does it feel well engineered?

mauckcg

Build quality is fantastic. It's kinda hard to tell the difference between the metal and plastic on the lens. The zoom and focus rings are very smooth and have a nice weighted feel. It is rather heavy and does pull my D7100 forward, but then again, so does my 70-200 2.8.

The close focus focal plane is very very narrow at 1.9, and the sharpness is excellent wide open. Stopped down it's still excellent. Autofocus is smooth and fast.

My 35 1.8 has been quite a bit more difficult to use wide open on the D7100 than my D5200. The 18-35 though, much easier to get what your after.

mauckcg

And as promised, pictures!

12598298544_7ca3dececf_c.jpg

12597979793_b84a80487c_c.jpg

12598312044_d16ee5ff0c_c.jpg

12597919695_ec33a65fc6_c.jpg

12597912405_ee674e8fea_c.jpg

12598335294_0e61ae8ab7_c.jpg

12598327174_f1e76d2080_c.jpg

I absolutely love this thing. The colors were bright and punchy, the bokeh is really nice, and falls off pretty evenly. The only thing i needed to be careful on was the lack of OS. Outside of that, the lens met my expectations and I am extremely happy with it.