Separating Like/Thanks

Krs_2007

i thought of another one that is confusing to me and might be overused. I think the like/thanks should be decoupled from each other.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Re: Contributing members idea

i thought of another one that is confusing to me and might be overused. I think the like/thanks should be decoupled from each other. But that's just something that may be for another conversation.

I've been mulling this over ever since you posted it and hope @jdeg takes this into consideration. It would be nice to reserve the like feature for photos and a separate feature to thank someone for their input instead of having to write a reply. I use the like/thanks feature as a thank you because I believe that's how it is intended but would prefer to see them separated.

Krs_2007

I've been mulling this over ever since you posted it and hope @jdeg takes this into consideration. It would be nice to reserve the like feature for photos and a separate feature to thank someone for their input instead of having to write a reply. I use the like/thanks feature as a thank you because I believe that's how it is intended but would prefer to see them separated.

Yes, there are so many times that I just want to say Thank you for a response to my question and not clutter up the forums with additional post that have 2 words and then push that topic back into the unread category for everyone else to my Thank You.

So John @jdeg

Not sure how you want to explore this or maybe it has, I think this would be a nice change.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member

I actually saw this in action on another site and I honestly didn't like it. It was cumbersome. It looked like everyone was using both at the same time and it was just messy. I am exploring a better system though. I rather have something a little more robust and clean.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member

I actually saw this in action on another site and I honestly didn't like it. It was cumbersome. It looked like everyone was using both at the same time and it was just messy. I am exploring a better system though. I rather have something a little more robust and clean.

Btw, this is one of the options I was exploring, and it does separate likes and thanks: Advanced Post Thanks / Like - DragonByte Tech | vBulletin Mods & Addons It does it in a cleaner way than what I've previously seen, has stats, and even a post color change if posts are helpful or not (if a post is helpful it turns green, for example). This is also an example of something that costs money that a contributing members system could help pay for :)

Krs_2007

Sounds good to me. I think you can do something with 3 levels or add a title for supporting, contributor for those that only want to donate and the use the current levels for others. Or a badge or something like that. I don't think I want to increase the workload for you, but do like the idea of decoupling the like/thanks.

one forum I am on will give you a different icon for supporting member. Not sure as I have never worked with this type software, so make it a value add and a burden.

either way, I'll still be here and would still be a supporting member if it stays the same.

The helpful option sounds like thread rating like we have. I use it, but not sure how many others do.

do you have a test bed for changes that we can beta test some of theses changes?