hello nikonites new guy here

Nikon 1

Hi I'm new to the forum just wanted to introduce myself, Ive been into photography ever since i can remember Ive got a very cool collection of Nikon F series.:cool: and i try to get out and photograph as much as i possibly can.

I also joined the forum in hopes that someone would be able to help me with a serious problem that Ive just encountered with my D1, yes you read that correct i know its old but its one of my favorite cameras.;)

I have searched all over the Internet in hope that i would encounter someone with the same issue but had no such luck. :upset:

I have started a thread on the D2 section, didn't know where ells to post it, so here is the thread, if anyone could please assist me id really appreciate it thanks.
http://nikonites.com/d2h-d2hs-d2x-d2xs/20053-nikon-d1-help-help-please.html#axzz2s2D8yg31

P.s. before you ask no its not a battery issue battery is 100% fine.
thanks guys. cheers.

Nikon 1

thanks for the warm welcome guys :D
I was really hopping to find a tech/ repair person here that could shed some light no pun intended lol... :(
cheers.

DraganDL

You didn't let us know where you live (which is a mistake, cause this info might be very useful to us, when advising you). So, you should visit the nearest Nikon's repair center (or contact it via Internet) and get your D1 repaired. I don't see any problem in that.

Brian

Sad- but true, the cost to get a D1 repaired is far more than what it will cost to replace.

There are so many things that can go wrong in a digital camera, it's impossible to diagnose without taking it apart. Not many things you can do from the outside. If you are positive that the battery is holding a full charge and able to deliver enough of a supply for a start-up surge, then you have a failed electronics board. If you have a third-party battery, there could be problems with it as there was with my third party battery. Using that battery, I get erratic behavior. Using the AC adapter- no problems. So the first thing to do is test the battery. It's more than holding a charge, it's also delivering enough supply for the electronics to power-up and take a picture.

DraganDL

Sad- but true, the cost to get a D1 repaired is far more than what it will cost to replace.

True, but in another thread, our colleague emphasizes that he knows that he could find the used, yet well preserved D1 for about 100$, but he just isn't willing to give up from trying to repair this one, since he grew very fond of it (the particular item he already owns). That being said, I expect the money is not the problem here...

Nikon 1

thanks DraganDL and Brian.
Brian your correct i understand there are many things that can be wrong with it for sure its something in the electronics, i was just hopping that someone had the same issue as me and could just say yes i had the same problem and they replaced so and so part and so on.

I guess i have no choice but to take this D1 apart and cross my fingers an see if some solder joint or something simple has come undone, just so people know the first thing i did was contacted Nikon and asked if they had encountered such a problem but of course and i guess rightfully so they want me to bring the camera in and for $75 they can check it for me and that doesn't include any repairs. when you think about it a used D1 body can be had for $100 or less.

so if i cant find the problem looks like I'm going to be looking for a used D1 or D2 thanks again for your replies.

Last edited:

Brian

I feel comfortable tearing down a mechanical camera more than a digital camera, and I'm a computer engineer with 35 years at a Lab.

Sometimes you get lucky- my Daughter's MP3 player with built in camera, etc- stopped working. Found the bad solder joint and fixed it. Added some support for a board that was flexing when the earphone was plugged in.

Nikon 1

Yes Brian I'm hopping its something simple as well, I'm not afraid to get into the camera i have fixed several electronics before. And like you i have worked on my mechanical 35mm as well, so wish me luck i will post back if i find anything cheers.