Nikon waterproof camera???

BillinAnchorage

Anybody know why Nikon hasn't released a waterproof camera? Other then it's probably a very small unprofitable product with warranty issues and such. Fuji, Pentax, Olympus, Canon, Samsung, Sony, Kodak, Panasonic, they all have models good to 3 meters or more. I had a Fuji that I took to Hawaii last year. Underwater stuff was great. Above water was fair.

Any other experiences you all have had?

fotojack

When I was scuba diving off the coast of Vancouver Island and in the Okanagan Lake, I used to use an underwater Nikon camera (borrowed) made specifically for underwater use. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it (something like Nikonos) but nevertheless, it WAS a Nikon camera. It was a film camera back then. I do not know if they continue to make them in a digital format.

LensWork

When I was scuba diving off the coast of Vancouver Island and in the Okanagan Lake, I used to use an underwater Nikon camera (borrowed) made specifically for underwater use. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it (something like Nikonos) but nevertheless, it WAS a Nikon camera. It was a film camera back then. I do not know if they continue to make them in a digital format.

It would have been a Nikonos. There were several versions over the years (I, II, III, IV, IVa, V & RS), but Nikon stopped making them years ago. I have a V, and it is a wonderful camera, but I have not shot ANY film in about 3 years, so it sits. You can buy a used V, complete with lens, for less than $200 (often WAY less).

I am not sure why Nikon does not make a digital P&S UW like many others do. UW P&S are very popular here in Florida; not just for UW use, but for use at the theme/water parks (can you say log ride?), not to mention the nearly every summer afternoon rainstorm.

Last edited:

fotojack

Hey thanks, Len. My memory isn't as sharp as it used to be. Yeah, it was the Nikonos V model that my buddy loaned me. I myself owned a Sea & Sea (forget the model), but it was a good one.........and rather expensive at the time. And yes, it's a shame Nikon doesn't make them anymore. I know they make underwater hlusings for digital cameras, but I'm not into that sector of photography anymore.........haven't been for many years.

Obir

Bringing up this old subject...I'd say that if Nikon starts making a WP P&S camera, I'd probably get one in a heartbeat. Maybe a beefed-up s8000 or s6000. This size would be great. I bought a P&S WP camera from another brand about 3 years ago and have to say that these are the most versatile cameras of all. It's been with me to Tahiti, New Zealand, Caribbean, and all over Europe so far. It's nice to just hang it around your neck and just go kayaking, snorkeling, ice climbing (or whatever you do) and not have to worry about it. Combine this with Nikon's outstanding low light performance and IQ and you have a winner here.:)

JohnFrench

I just bought a Nikon Coolpix AW100 today, the battery is charging as I type. I got it more for the cold than the water resistance. Only going up to 15 degrees tomorrow, it will be a good day to try it out

I went out today (01-15-12) and tried out the camera with about 25 shots. It was bright sun, windy and about 11 degrees. I opted for the largest format available, so I could crop, or magnify if needed on the details of buildings I like to shoot. The camera gave me brilliant color, but I am slightly disappointed in the sharpness considering the 16 megapixel sensor.

The photos can be seen starting here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...09582229.67043.124967760900992&type=3&theater

Last edited:

Obir

I just bought a Nikon Coolpix AW100 today, the battery is charging as I type. I got it more for the cold than the water resistance. Only going up to 15 degrees tomorrow, it will be a good day to try it out

I went out today (01-15-12) and tried out the camera with about 25 shots. It was bright sun, windy and about 11 degrees. I opted for the largest format available, so I could crop, or magnify if needed on the details of buildings I like to shoot. The camera gave me brilliant color, but I am slightly disappointed in the sharpness considering the 16 megapixel sensor.

The photos can be seen starting here: Portland Maine Pictures Album # 25 | Facebook

I rushed to take a look at it on-line as soon as I found out about it, but was a little disappointed it has a plastic case. I have an older version of the Olympus SW that's been with me for about 5 years and, although it's built like a a tank (metal case, etc.), it's just sub-par as far as image quality. Maybe it's time for a new one:)

Surfwatch

I have heard all the reviews of the AW100 stating that the pictures are not as sharp as one would expect. I have found that if you switch the SR off they come out better. The manufacturer recommends that the SR is not used on a tripod. Maybe our handhelds are not as shaky as we would think. Leaving the SR on and hand holding the camera very still, would have the same effects as being on a tripod. Anyone else had the same experience.

weebee

I have a Fujifilm XP that I use in the water. When I decide to get another the Nikon will be my choice. The Fujifilm I have now takes pictures both under water and above it and does a pretty good job at it.