My New D5200

odedidush

Hi ,
i Bought new NIKON D5200 with original lens 18-105 mm .
i'm new with SLR , i have some questions .
what is the optimal Aperture for sharpestand lens ?
what is the optimal optimal shutter speed for high resolution photos ?
are those paramerers varient with different photos ?
thanks for support .

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,the optimal aperture is not always the sharpest you have to take into account depth of field,the shutter speed does not have an optimal speed,i think you need to take some pictures make a few mistakes then post the results with the settings and members can then help you.

nickt

For some of my lenses, I need to stop down a bit for optimal sharpness. In general, that is a good idea if you can, but I don't feel a particular need to do this with the 18-105. Maybe if I had to guess, f8. I shoot it wide open often with no issues. Like Mike said, you may have other priorities like needing a greater or lesser depth of field.

Shutter speed is more up to you. Tripod, hand held, desire to show motion, desire to freeze motion, desire to use a certain aperture, etc; your needs will vary. If you are after sharpness, fast is better especially hand held. Handheld go with minimum of 1/focal length. Some will say 1/(1.5*focal length) to take into account crop factor. In the end it depends on technique too. For the absolute sharpest shot, I'd want a good bit higher speed than 1/FL. You want to overcome camera shake and you may need to freeze some subject motion due to wind or whatever. So no perfect shutter speed.

Just go out and shoot a bunch. Save your pictures even if you are unhappy with them until you have learned all you can from the shot.

You say you are new to SLR, are you fully comfortable with the principals of exposure? I'm talking the relationship of shutter, aperture and iso? If not, you must get familiar with those things. Also learn and understand your camera's focus modes.

§am

I recommend taking a lot of pictures and learning, as there's a whole host of factors that affect sharpness and high resolution.

What aperture and shutter speed you shoot is more dependent on what you are shooting and what effect you want from the shot. About the only rule you need to really learn is that if you are shooting handheld you will need to shoot fast enough to negate movement of the camera.

The Reciprocal Rule--perhaps the most used “rule of thumb” in photography. It is used to determine the slowest shutter speed you can safely use while hand holding your camera and still prevent camera shake. It states that when hand holding your camera, the shutter speed should not be slower than the reciprocal of the effective focal length of the lens you are using. So, if you have a 55 mm lens, then the reciprocal of that would be 1/55, which means that the slowest shutter speed you should use would be 1/55 seconds.

How to Get "Tack Sharp" Photo Images, Part I: Shutter Speed, Focal Length, Image Stabilizers and Tripods | ApogeePhoto.com gives you a pretty good overview of sharpness.