BMW M3 in Sunrise Light

ADM5

I was actually on my way to a different location for an early morning photoshoot when this warehouse caught my eye. As I have no lighting equipment I really rely on the light I have available. I love this car and I wanted to really convey the clean lines that form this vehicle and as the owner just bought these wheels I wanted to show some depth there as well. There was some light post processing done but overall it's almost straight from camera. I shot it at f/8 as I find this is about where my lens is the sharpest.

Specifically I would like feedback on overall composition of the photograph and, as always, any other critique that can be offered.

Camera: Nikon D3100
Lens: Kit 18mm-55mm
F-stop: f/8
Exposure: 1/200
ISO: ISO-100
Focal Length: 42mm
Shot on Aperture Priority
Manual white balance
No flash
On Tripod

10790701533_3709c34cda_h.jpg

WhiteLight

Just feedback, not a critique-

The main subject of the image is the M3.
But the majority of the image is not the car.
You can see the line where the sheets meet, if you had composed the entire image so the top of the image was along the line, you would've more of the car visible.
Basically too much dead space on top.
Even on the bottom, you could cut off along the floor...
that would give a better perspective.

Something like this

10790701533_3709c34cda_h_WLP-2.jpg

ADM5

Thanks for the feedback. It makes sense as I really struggled with how to compose this one. I thought the background/foreground looked pretty neat but then again, as you are correct in pointing out, the subject is the M3. I really appreciate it!

Keen Ai

Same thoughts on the background and that cliff in the foreground. If you want to get a picture of the car in an environment with surroundings, you could find much better places than a big flat wall, so this particular spot is much more conducive to a tighter crop around the car like Don or WhiteLight posted. Of course it's just a personal thing but I'd rather see the car at a bit of an angle. I also like the white balance adjustment WhiteLight made - I think if you're going to go with that natural early morning yellow cast, there should be something else in the photo to let us know the time of day - otherwise it just kinda looks like a shot in broad daylight that is over-warmed (aside from those who might notice the angle of the shadows :p)

ADM5

Thanks for the feedback.I understand it does need a tight crop in this case. As for the angle I believe the profile shot is an important one for shooting cars. I have many other shots of this car at all kinds of angles. However, what my "client" wanted was to highlight the profile and his new set of wheels (and capture the depth of the hub). This was just one of many in this set.As for the white balance adjustment...I guess that's a good point but I like to try and capture what's there. At this time there was yellow morning sunlight and that's what I captured. This particular color is Sparkling Graphite (rare, only offered for one year) and it's amazing to see this color in all kinds of lighting as it's very dynamic.So in terms of shooting cars do I really need to make a white balance adjustment when I want to capture this paint in the lighting I have? After all, when you look at this car at a show in person you don't get the luxury of white balance adjustments so that's what I capture and offer. Or is my approach kind of....off?

Scott Murray

Well its late afternoon sun by the looks so the WB is quite accurate, I would have positioned the vehicle further away from the wall as suggested. You are taking a photo of the vehicle after all and not the vertical lines of the shed, yes it may look cool but does it detract from the shot. I think you know the answer. Also the vehicle is kind of flat, why not show its angles and form by bringing it more front on. I am not where near a car photographer but I think it would look good if you positioned yourself slightly forward of the vehicle and the vehicle had a few more metres between it and the shed. But thats just me. Also you would have got more sheen on the bonnet/windshield which may have added to the image.