please help D3200 vs D5200 ??

Hey all you Nikon shooters =) I am a new photographer and tryin to start my own buisness and grow. I have just been capturing friends and family these last sevral years. I am currently using an ancient camera, compaired to todays models lol, a nikon p90. I bought that probably 3-4 yrs ago; so i can get an idea about photography. Well, turns out i really want to pursue this career. Im currently looking at a Nikon d3200 & d5200. Wich one would you recommend? I can go with the 3200 for the price and get a few extra lenses and etc things... or go with the 5200 and be kind of limited due to the cost. I guess my main question would be, How much more of a diff. are the 2 cams? I have several newborn and a couple weddings coming up. any idea which lenses are good for those kind of things?

All your help and opionions is really appreciated.
Thank you for your time =)

All Seasons Photography | by Abby

If you are planing on doing this as a business you are going to need to go past the D3200 or D5200. These are good cameras but you are going to need more. Both of these have limitations like no commander mode with the flash and weather sealing just in case you get caught out in the rain and need to keep shooting. You need to at least go to the D7100 or even better if you plan to do this for a living then you need to move up to a Full Frame camera like the D610.

The D3200 is the bottom of the line Starter camera and the D5200 is just a step above. Both are great cameras so don't get me wrong. They are great for the hobbyist and for fun shooting but they are not professional cameras.

I started with the D3100 and from there moved to the D5100 and now with the D7000 so I do have experience with the levels of cameras you are talking about.

Deezey

I have to agree with Don. I would start with at least the D7100 or the D610 as a starting camera with thoughts of getting into the business.

Deezey

Also look at it this way. If you buy the D3200 or D5200. You will eventually....and I am being serious....you will upgrade and more than likely within the first year. Meaning you didn't save a dime on gear.

Pretzel

Not to be contrary with the folks who have already commented, but...

I have no problems doing shoots with my D3100 and earning a little money on the side. I've done several family portrait sessions, 2nd shot a wedding, and have a couple of maternity sessions, senior photo and more family photo sessions scheduled. In the right hands, with the right knowledge and eye, it's capable of handling the basics quite well. If budget is holding you back for now, I'd say get the D3200 with some better glass. All of that in mind, if you're shooting indoors, you'll want a good speedlight and some fast glass.

If I can do it with a D3100, the D3200 or D5200 will certainly be able to keep up as well. Granted, when given a choice, I prefer to shoot outside or in well lit areas, but I'm not horribly afraid of other settings. Shoots with my current set-up are helping me set aside the cash for the upgrades I currently want (and need) to make, too.

Now, having said that, after about a year of this "side-business" side of things, even though I've acquired a few lenses that do me well, a speedlight, and a lot of experience, I'm definitely wanting to move up to the D7100 for several reasons. 1) More cross-type focus points (easier to compose and shoot quickly) and more general focus points, 2) Dual SD slots, 3) Faster QUICK access (by way of dial) to all of the settings I usually need to change on the fly, 4) Weather sealing, 5) Better build and durability, 6) MUCH longer battery life!, and 7) Built in commander mode! Wow, that's a long list!

IF you can afford to go ahead and jump up the the D7100, or if you can afford to hold off a bit UNTIL you can make that jump, I'd recommend it, as you will want to do so. Sure, the D610 they mention would be a great camera too (much better low light performance, a little better image quality, full frame), but you're looking at nearly double the price, and I think for a semi-pro, or "Pro-sumer", the D7100 would do quite well. PLUS, you'd have around $1000 (over the D610) to put toward better lenses, etc.

Last edited:

Bill16

I agree with Don. If your serious and determined about going into business, I would suggest creating a list of what is needed to cover the type of photography your going to do. Then I would suggest getting a loan to see that you can get all the equipment you'll need to start off your business.
I would go with the D610 or D800/D800e and would find out which lenses would best suit my needs. Then I would get a good tripod, flash and lighting, along with studio backdrops if your going to be doing indoor shots in a studio. There are several people here who can give you some great tips, including on which camera gear is the best for the needs! :)
Welcome to nikonites, and I wish you the best of fortune in your new business! :D

Moab Man

Before I spend any of this money I would want to know if I have the eye and understanding of light before investing anything. You wrote, "I have just been capturing friends and family these last several years." Without having seen any of these pictures, you could be phenomenal or no better than a kid running around with a cell phone camera of ten years ago.

What I would do... Save for a D7100 or even the D610 and while I am doing that I would start shooting, posting, and get some honest and sometimes constructively harsh critiques on your work at say a website like oh say Nikonites.com in the photo feedback area. And the camera you have, while saving, will do just fine for showing the skills you have.

Anyway, that's my thought since you said you want to do it as a business. Nothing will kill your future business endeavor like a failed launch when you weren't skill wise ready. A damaged reputation for work not up to snuff can be difficult to overcome.

Last edited:

Pretzel

Oh, yes... Good catch, Bill! WELCOME to the Nikonites forums, and luck to you in your endeavor! (now back to the equipment chatter and such)

Bill16

Oooh your sooo right! I jumped the gun with my advice! Thanks! Great catch my friend! :D

Before I spend any of this money I would want to know if I have the eye and understanding of light before investing anything. You wrote, "I have just been capturing friends and family these last several years." Without having seen any of these pictures, you could be phenomenal or not better a kid running around with a cell phone camera of ten years ago.

What I would do... Save for a D7100 or even the D610 and while I am doing that I would start shooting, posting, and get some honest and sometimes constructively harsh critiques on your work at say a website like oh say Nikonites.com in the photo feedback area.

Anyway, that's my thought since you said you want to do it as a business. Nothing will kill your future business endeavor like a failed launch when you weren't skill wise ready. A damaged reputation for work not up to snuff can be difficult to overcome.

Not to be contrary with the folks who have already commented, but...

I have no problems doing shoots with my D3100 and earning a little money on the side. I've done several family portrait sessions, 2nd shot a wedding, and have a couple of maternity sessions, senior photo and more family photo sessions scheduled. In the right hands, with the right knowledge and eye, it's capable of handling the basics quite well. If budget is holding you back for now, I'd say get the D3200 with some better glass. All of that in mind, if you're shooting indoors, you'll want a good speedlight and some fast glass.

If I can do it with a D3100, the D3200 or D5200 will certainly be able to keep up as well. Granted, when given a choice, I prefer to shoot outside or in well lit areas, but I'm not horribly afraid of other settings. Shoots with my current set-up are helping me set aside the cash for the upgrades I currently want (and need) to make, too.

Now, having said that, after about a year of this "side-business" side of things, even though I've acquired a few lenses that do me well, a speedlight, and a lot of experience, I'm definitely wanting to move up to the D7100 for several reasons. 1) More cross-type focus points (easier to compose and shoot quickly) and more general focus points, 2) Dual SD slots, 3) Faster QUICK access (by way of dial) to all of the settings I usually need to change on the fly, 4) Weather sealing, 5) Better build and durability, 6) MUCH longer battery life!, and 7) Built in commander mode! Wow, that's a long list!

IF you can afford to go ahead and jump up the the D7100, or if you can afford to hold off a bit UNTIL you can make that jump, I'd recommend it, as you will want to do so. Sure, the D610 they mention would be a great camera too (much better low light performance, a little better image quality, full frame), but you're looking at nearly double the price, and I think for a semi-pro, or "Pro-sumer", the D7100 would do quite well. PLUS, you'd have around $1000 (over the D610) to put toward better lenses, etc.

Big difference in earning a little money on the side and shooting 2nd on a wedding but the OP is talking about starting a business and shooting 1st on wedding and portraits. I earn a little on the side but with what equipment I have would not consider it as a full time business. i will shoot weddings but only if it is a couple that can not afford to hire a photographer and the minister recommends them to me. Then I only charge enough to cover my costs. I get really tired of "photographers" charging a fortune to shoot a wedding and showing up with low end consumer equipment and less knowledge and shooting the wedding.
I have told the story before about the photographer that shot my son's wedding. Out doors wedding late evening. dark outside and she was shooting with a D3000. Had a nice flash on the camera and had it pointing straight up with no diffuser. I asked her if she realized that her flash was pointing straight up during a break in her shooting. She told me that yes she did know. she then told me that all pros used bounce flash since it gave a much better light. I looked up at the night sky overhead and asked her what was she bouncing the flash off of? She just looked up and gave me a dirty look and walked away. She never did change the flash for the rest of the evening. By that way the evening shots after the sun went down were totally unusable. My son was divorced shortly after the photos were done. The photographer took about 6 months to get them finished.

If you want to make a business of photography then first get the knowledge and then buy proper equipment.

Pretzel

If you want to make a business of photography then first get the knowledge and then buy proper equipment.

To quote G.I. Joe, "Knowledge is half the battle!" (YO JOE!)

Agreed. I don't seek wedding shoots in general, as those are high pressure gigs. Screw it up and you've ruined one of the most important days in a person's life. If asked by someone who just can't afford the full-time best equipped pro, I'd certainly consider it, even with my current equipment, but I can guarantee that I'd be on hand at the site quite early to test shoot and get a feel for what I needed. Perhaps show up for the rehearsal, or the week before at the same time of day... it's the only way you'd know for sure what you'd be facing. I *SURE* wouldn't charge some of the ludicrous prices I've seen out there. AND, even if I didn't get a chance to get there early, I'd know you can't bounce a flash off of nothing! (I actually LOL'd when I read that part)

Definitely, before I would advertise myself as a wedding shooter, I'd make sure the equipment and skill was in place, just like I did before I advertised myself (on a small scale, no billboards) as available for portrait and family sessions.

Wait, let me rephrase that last statement... I will probably NEVER advertise myself as a wedding shooter, even after I do have the equipment and skills in place. Did I mention how high pressure those gigs are? I don't wanna deal with that stress!! For that kind of day, you'd better have enough equipment in place TWICE in case your primary equipment goes down. :) I guess, when folks discuss "starting and growing a business", we all think of it from different angles. I was definitely considering the "side business, non-main income" approach.

Now, after all that, I wouldn't discourage starting a little "side business" with lesser equipment if that's the only way you can make your intro, but you DEFINITELY need the knowledge and skillset to do so! Not everyone can just dive in with big money (points at self), and even if they can, it's not a "bought the right camera, I'm the best" market. With the right approach, and a lot of commitment to personal development, you can get there.

Last edited:
To quote G.I. Joe, "Knowledge is half the battle!" (YO JOE!)

Agreed. I don't seek wedding shoots in general, as those are high pressure gigs. Screw it up and you've ruined one of the most important days in a person's life. If asked by someone who just can't afford the full-time best equipped pro, I'd certainly consider it, even with my current equipment, but I can guarantee that I'd be on hand at the site quite early to test shoot and get a feel for what I needed. Perhaps show up for the rehearsal, or the week before at the same time of day... it's the only way you'd know for sure what you'd be facing. I *SURE* wouldn't charge some of the ludicrous prices I've seen out there. AND, even if I didn't get a chance to get there early, I'd know you can't bounce a flash off of nothing! (I actually LOL'd when I read that part)

Definitely, before I would advertise myself as a wedding shooter, I'd make sure the equipment and skill was in place, just like I did before I advertised myself (on a small scale, no billboards) as available for portrait and family sessions.

Wait, let me rephrase that last statement... I will probably NEVER advertise myself as a wedding shooter, even after I do have the equipment and skills in place. Did I mention how high pressure those gigs are? I don't wanna deal with that stress!! For that kind of day, you'd better have enough equipment in place TWICE in case your primary equipment goes down. :) I guess, when folks discuss "starting and growing a business", we all think of it from different angles. I was definitely considering the "side business, non-main income" approach.

Now, after all that, I wouldn't discourage starting a little "side business" with lesser equipment if that's the only way you can make your intro, but you DEFINITELY need the knowledge and skillset to do so! Not everyone can just dive in with big money (points at self), and even if they can, it's not a "bought the right camera, I'm the best" market. With the right approach, and a lot of commitment to personal development, you can get there.

Sounds just like my thinking. I kept my D5100 when I ungraded to the D7000 just to have a backup for my fun shooting. If I were doing much shooting at all for pay I would have a second camera at all times not to mention spare charged batteries, spare SD cards and a spare photographer. My wife has been shooting for 30 years and although she is not as good a shooter technically as I am she has a good eye and does a good job with the shooting. I generally set the camera up for her and she shoots while I am shooting. She has different angles and a different look and I do use some of her shots. This is for the stuff I do for free for friends.

Thank yall for the welcoming (harsh or not) and the advice =)
Please keep in mind im looking at this from a "just starting out" point of view.
This is a on the side buisness, not a full time job. due to the fact there is always things to learn and grow from, and i want to do that the smart and slowly way. So my main question (or maybe i didnt understand from the responses) Should i get the d3200 and spend the few 100 bucks diff. and use that towards the lense end? (another words, is the 2 cams so similar that they both will produce the same pictures, depending on the lense i use) or they really arent that similar and produce pics diff. that its worth spending the extra money on the body.
I am currently looking at purchasing a 50mm f1.8 macro, 50-300mm f4.5-5.6 telephoto zoom, and body comes with 18-55mm kit lense. Im also going to purchase an external flash, and a collapsible light reflector thats easy to travel with. Im trying to have lense that i can do a variety of photography. I do not know everything, like i said im still learning. Ive never did indoor, it has always been outdoor. Im just having trouble knowing which body to purchase. D3200 or D5200? If there is not a big enough diff. between the bodies, then I will go with the 3200 and save on that end and use it towards purchasing other accessories.

Last edited:

Brian

https://www.facebook.com/allseasonsphotography.byabby/photos_stream

All Seasons Photography | by Abby

I googled your signature, and saw a P90 for sale - good chance this is you. If not- My apologies, and a well-done for the girl with the P90 on Facebook

You've outgrown the P90, but never used an SLR. A 50~300 that you mentioned is "too much" for your type of photography. If you planned on shooting High-School sports, "Okay". Don't try too many different things, stick with the family/school informal portraits for now, and for weddings: for those with a "REALLY TIGHT" budget, "just a suggestion"- volunteer for experience and at most charge actual costs. I've seen young couples get married and ask that family send them copies of any shots that they might get. Times are tough. With a 1.5x crop camera, more like a 50/1.8, and a zoom in the 28~85 range would be a good start. With a digital camera- go for the best you can afford at this point, add the lenses slowly. For what I see of your portraits, the 50/1.8 plus a zoom. The Nikon D7100 would give you access to less expensive/ used "D series lenses". Think I gave away a 35~70 F3.3 on another forum to a member wanting an inexpensive camera/lens for a niece. They do not go for much. If you get the D7100 or other that can use "D" lenses- bet I can find another. I have a lot of lenses.

For a tight budget- you might consider a used "higher-end" camera.
Used-

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DN029991196280?r=FE

Refurbished-

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DN02999117158X?r=FE

KEH in Atlanta gives a warranty, has good prices. Been dealing with them for over 20 years. A D7000 used seems to be about 1/2 the list price of a D7100.

Last edited:

Brian

I found a 35~70 F3.3~F4.5 and 35~80 F4~F5.6. Both are "so old they are made in Japan and have metal mounts", ie the good versions. These lenses work with cameras such as the D7000 or D300 with internal AF motors, will not autofocus with the lower tier cameras. Buying a camera with internal AF motor gives chance to pick up used lenses for cheap, or less.

Brian,
Thanks for your reply. Im kinda scared to buy refurbished or used. with my luck i something would be wrong with it. I havent even looked into buying that bc of that fear. Does it occur often people would get a "bad" camera? i know there is always that chance im sure. And you are correct, that is my facebook page =) As far as wedding sessions, They are people i know who when told me what people were charging them for photography, I was shocked and said id do it for less than half! I felt like they were getting robbed. This is the reason why i need guidance bc i want to do all those things and get on a professional level eventually. There is just SO much info out there and one says this the other says that its hard to make final desicions :/

Last edited:
REfurbished cameras can be a good deal if you are careful where you buy them from. I bought my D5100, D7000 and a 18-105 zoom all as refurbished from Cameras for Sale | Buy a Digital Camera from Cameta Camera. I like them because as far as I have seen they are the only ones who offer a full year warranty on all their refurbished equipment.

Nikon D5200 Digital SLR Camera Body (Black) - Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty

Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens - Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty

and also you can get a better lens this way.

Bill16

Used is a gamble, and you'd have to be careful to buy from someone who has a good rep. But refurbished isn't the same, and tends to come with a warranty, so if it turns out bad in some way you can send it back under the warranty.I've bought two used Nikon's and they have turned out to be my favorites, but I was careful,their description was detailed, and the photos were of the actual camera I was getting. I tend to agree with Brian! I'd also suggest getting the best Nikon you can afford preferably one with a AF motor built in like the D7100. That's one of the reasons I love my D90 and D300! They both had the AF motor built in allowing me to use FX lenses that I was able to buy cheaper than similar DX lenses! :D

Brian,
Thanks for your reply. Im kinda scared to buy refurbished or used. with my luck i something would be wrong with it. I havent even looked into buying that bc of that fear. Does it occur often people would get a "bad" camera? i know there is always that chance im sure. And you are correct, that is my facebook page =) As far as wedding sessions, They are people i know who when told me what people were charging them for photography, I was shocked and said id do it for less than half! I felt like they were getting robbed. This is the reason why i need guidance bc i want to do all those things and get on a professional level eventually. There is just SO much info out there and one says this the other says that its hard to make final desicions :/