60mm and 85mm Nikon Macro Lenses

AudiSportB5S4

Does anyone have shots with either the 60 or the 85mm macro lenses from Nikon? I'd like to set my eyes on one to keep in mind which to get when the time comes.. I'm thinking I'd like the 60mm with the fastest aperture a bit more (2.8 vs 3.5 I believe).

Appreciate it!

Dave_W

The Dude
You want the 60mm lens, no doubt about it. It's a solid lens that sells on the used market for a lot less than it's worth, IMO.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
One thing to remember which may influence your decision, is minimal focus distance. The larger the focal length, the more distance between the subject and the front of your lens. I cut this from the Nikon USA website.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 11.30.54 AM.png

Last edited:

SkvLTD

If its 1:1, its 1:1 at whatever the minimal distance it does so, so question to ask is how close CAN you be to your subjects? And really, how close will your potential subjects will allow you to be? My rough idea of effortless, 1:1 in one lens w/ AF kinda macro are insects and those buggers don't like you to be all that close to them. That said, IMO, the farther your lens allows, the better.

Nero

I'm leaning more towards the 40mm micro. Looks like a great lens for the price, plus I don't see myself shooting too many insects.

SkvLTD

Had you any manual lenses, I'd simply advise getting some macro extension tubes since you won't really need much more for stationary subjects and a ring light/flash to mount on the front of the lens... At the same time though, if this whole "kit" would run you less than the 40, I'd consider it as well for its greater flexibility and ease of use.

Nero

Had you any manual lenses, I'd simply advise getting some macro extension tubes since you won't really need much more for stationary subjects and a ring light/flash to mount on the front of the lens... At the same time though, if this whole "kit" would run you less than the 40, I'd consider it as well for its greater flexibility and ease of use.
I've got my 50mm f/1.8G lens with manual focus.

SkvLTD

Won't do for this, since its G-ilded. You need the aperture ring if you want to control the aperture with this approach (unless you invest into extension tubes that support AF and G lenses, but IMHO those are way too much for what they're worth in a long run).

SkvLTD

And I'll reiterate the importance of a ring flash or light once again- makes your life SO much easier and allows for pretty awesome isolation from background since at small apertures the light will only really suffice to light your subject.

aroy

Unless you are doing copy work, you need a working distance. This may be due to need to light up the subject, or not to spook the subject. Either way the longer the focal length the better.

Secondly, most of macro work is best carried out on a tripod and fine tuning the focus manually. So why not explore getting a pre-owned manual lense. Macro lenses do not change much over time, so they are a long time investment, hence I would advise you to get an FX lense rather than a DX lense which you may out grow later.

SkvLTD

Then ebay a 105 AF-D and be a happy camper. Trust my hours upon hours of research and numerous positive user feedback.

skene

ok well wish I seen this a bit sooner, as I do take pictures of sealife through the looking glass.
All will do as you need. The 85 and 105 will bring you further back from the tank. Since you are shooting through glass, if you want to be upclose to it I recommend the 40mm. If you want to go further back then you may do that with the 85 or 105...

You can also try shooting with a polarizing filter as well to try and reduce any glare from ambient lighting.

favia.jpg

jelly2.jpg

Both were shot with the 85 f3.5G.. I also use the 40 2.8G when I want to do full images and the 85 for that more personal closeup shot.

Nero

Unless you are doing copy work, you need a working distance. This may be due to need to light up the subject, or not to spook the subject. Either way the longer the focal length the better.

Secondly, most of macro work is best carried out on a tripod and fine tuning the focus manually. So why not explore getting a pre-owned manual lense. Macro lenses do not change much over time, so they are a long time investment, hence I would advise you to get an FX lense rather than a DX lense which you may out grow later.

Too bad I only have the D3100.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4

crycocyon

You could still use a manual Nikkor. And if you get an FX lens you would just be focusing it manually as well.

But, for macro work, don't you manually focus anyway? You have plenty of time and the focus is usually so critical that you end up having to override the autofocus anyway, I would think? I did macro photography of flowers many moons ago with a Minolta system with a bellows and reversed 50mm lens.

I mean, the Micro Nikkor 55mm f2.8 AI lens is a legend and still sold new to this day by Nikon and there are great deals on Ebay for both it and the f3.5.

EDIT: I just bought the 55mm f2.8 AIS version, I think it is that good. :cool:

Last edited: