Camera in vehicle

mjl

I take me camera pretty much everywhere I go other than stores and the mall. I work overnight with the temperatures being so low I'm sure it's not smart to leave it in overnight but what are the affects if it is left in?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I take me camera pretty much everywhere I go other than stores and the mall. I work overnight with the temperatures being so low I'm sure it's not smart to leave it in overnight but what are the affects if it is left in?

Some safety related items might be applicable on pages 12, 13 and 205 on your owners manual regarding how temperature could affect the performance of your battery and charger.

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D3200_EN.pdf

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Depending on the area and neighborhood that you live in, I personally would not leave my camera equipment in the car and risk attracting would be thief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
When the camera gets cold, my recommendation is to leave it in the bag once you come in in a warmer environment. This could save you the displeasure of getting the whole thing condensate on you. This could cause more damage than the cold itself, in y opinion.

I've taken picture at -20 and lower without harm done... So far.

carguy

Depending on the area and neighborhood that you live in, I personally would not leave my camera equipment in the car and risk attracting would be thief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Out of sight, out of mind. I'd certainly not leave it where it can be seen. Also, don't wait until you arrive at your destination to put items in the trunk, people can watch and see and may be attracted. Have valuables tucked away BEFORE parking.

Good thread, makes me want to dig out the D40 and keep it in my truck. Once these frigid temps in Michigan let up and we get back to regular winter :)

BackdoorArts

D3200 and New Jersey

I mentioned this in another thread, biggest issue is if you've got plastic mounts on your DX glass. In extreme cold that stuff will get brittle and potentially chip if knocked around or mounted sloppily.

With the sheer amount of gear my brother has, bringing it in every night would be ludicrous, so most of it stays in the trunk with batteries and cards coming in overnight. That said, he's got a rather complex chain locking system on his car that makes it virtually impossible to get anything out if you pop the trunk, and the alarm will make enough of a racket that you'll never get through the chain before he's outside with the shotgun.

That said, for an amateur, if you can fit everything in one bag then bring the bag in and leave it by the door so you can bring it out tomorrow.