Photographic a Beta in a small aquarium

Revet

My daughter just got a new Beta and wants me to get some nice photo's off it. It is in a small 10 gallon aquarium. I have done some searching on google to get started. Thus far I have found the following into:

1) Use a macro lens which I have
2) Use a rubber lens hood and put it against the tank such that you are 90 degrees to the glass. I have a hard plastic hood with my Tamron Macro lens, I would assume this should be fine since I probably won't be moving it around much and this is not the Atlanta Aquarium!!
3) Use indirect flash from above the tank. I have an SB-700 which I can use in TTL or manual mode off the camera (I ordered an SC-29 from B&H which should arrive any day)
4) Settings - 1/200, Iso (as low as I am able or as high as I need, F stop ???? That one I will play around with but a starting tip would help.
5) Tripod

From what I understand, photographing fish can be challenging so I thought I would check in here to get some tips while I'm waiting for my sync cord (which I planned to purchase for portraits anyhow). In my limited experience with a macro lens, I did find focusing to be a challenge. I can only imagine how that will go with a moving object. Any tips here would help also.

Also I just got some portrait umbrellas. Is there any value in trying to shoot through one here or just go with naked flash (since I would think the water surface would act as a diffusion surface.

Thanks for any advice!!

Moab Man

You are right, this will be quite an undertaking as fish are difficult.

From what you have written you have the idea. I will throw in a few suggestions.

1. Turn off an filters or air flow that will agitate the water.
2. Feed the fish a pellet or two at a time. This will give you a moment of being stationary. I would suggest a helper to drop in a pellet at a time.
3. Move every available light into the room you can to make the room as bright as possible.
4. I would try ISO 200, but it's hit or miss. You will have to adjust.
5. Pick up some extra patience at the corner store. :)

Krs_2007

If you really want the beta to fan out, put a mirror on the end of the tank and get be ready to shoot. As a kid we helped my grandmother raise various types of fish and she showed us that. They have really beautiful colors when flared out.

Deezey

Also drop a pingpong ball in the tank. Mine used to love pushing them around. Yu might be able to get some good shots that way too.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

nidding

Good advise so far. Especially the one with turning of the pumps. That should help lot.
3. Move every available light into the room you can to make the room as bright as possible.
I would actually make the room you're shooting in as dark as possible at all. Preferably take the pictures after sundown and with all lights turned off, as this will eliminate reflections from the glass. Instead put some extra light on top of the tank and really get some light in there. A flash might work, but might also give you some weird light. But try it out and see what works :)
This is a shot I made with a phone camera a year or so back. It's a 2.5 gallon, so there's no fish in it. But I think it shows that a lot of light over the tank helps a lot. I had 3 compact fluorescent bulbs right over the tiny tank to light this, so don't hold back.

Also with a betta, that are usually pretty stationary, I think you might be able to get some really cool selective focus shots with your macro. I'm sure that could look really good :)

Good luck and post some results! :)

...and oh yeah. Patience!!!

Scott Murray

My daughter just got a new Beta and wants me to get some nice photo's off it. It is in a small 10 gallon aquarium. I have done some searching on google to get started. Thus far I have found the following into:

1) Use a macro lens which I have
2) Use a rubber lens hood and put it against the tank such that you are 90 degrees to the glass. I have a hard plastic hood with my Tamron Macro lens, I would assume this should be fine since I probably won't be moving it around much and this is not the Atlanta Aquarium!!
3) Use indirect flash from above the tank. I have an SB-700 which I can use in TTL or manual mode off the camera (I ordered an SC-29 from B&H which should arrive any day)
4) Settings - 1/200, Iso (as low as I am able or as high as I need, F stop ???? That one I will play around with but a starting tip would help.
5) Tripod

From what I understand, photographing fish can be challenging so I thought I would check in here to get some tips while I'm waiting for my sync cord (which I planned to purchase for portraits anyhow). In my limited experience with a macro lens, I did find focusing to be a challenge. I can only imagine how that will go with a moving object. Any tips here would help also.

Also I just got some portrait umbrellas. Is there any value in trying to shoot through one here or just go with naked flash (since I would think the water surface would act as a diffusion surface.

Thanks for any advice!!
I would cover the top of the tank in white paper and maybe the sides and shine lights in from the side aswell. Have the SB-700 up top. The paper will act as a big light tent. Holding the camera against the glass is a must, also maybe try feeding them in one spot. that way when you are ready to take photos they will come to this spot when they see a person (middle of tank etc).

Moab Man

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Moab Man 3. Move every available light into the room you can to make the room as bright as possible.

Good advise so far. Especially the one with turning of the pumps. That should help lot.

I would actually make the room you're shooting in as dark as possible at all. Preferably take the pictures after sundown and with all lights turned off, as this will eliminate reflections from the glass. Instead put some extra light on top of the tank and really get some light in there. A flash might work, but might also give you some weird light. But try it out and see what works :)

This is what happens when you assume a person knows not to position the lighting where it will reflect. LOL!

Revet

Thanks to all, I think I have a pretty good handle on this now. Patience is going to be the hardest part. I expect to get my sync cord early next week then I will give it a run and post the results here!!

nidding

This is what happens when you assume a person knows not to position the lighting where it will reflect. LOL!
Well, I'm not talking about reflections from the light source itself, but rather from object in the room, being lit by the light in the room, and thus being reflected in the glass of the aquarium. I have had this happen lots of time to me. Obviously this doesn't happen if you press the lens up towards the glass, but only when you have the camera some distance from the glass.

Phillydog1958

If you really want the beta to fan out, put a mirror on the end of the tank and get be ready to shoot. As a kid we helped my grandmother raise various types of fish and she showed us that. They have really beautiful colors when flared out.

Excellent advice! Male bettas are very territorial and will fight to the death. They peer into a mirror and assume that their reflection is another male. Their fins flare and colors become more flamboyant. It's interesting that in the wild, they often live in the stagnant waters of Asian rice paddies.

Last edited: