Nikon 28-70 AF-S 2.8 D focus issue

JMHPhotography

Hey all,

I recently purchased this lens used from a friend and I am having some auto focus issues with it in low light and it makes a not so nice squeaking sound sometimes when trying to focus. I have gotten some great shots with it when it does focus and I obviously can't give it back. The only work around I have used is manually focusing in auto focus mode...defeats the purpose right?

any thoughts suggestions?

Thanks
Jeannette

rocketman122

Hey all,

I recently purchased this lens used from a friend and I am having some auto focus issues with it in low light and it makes a not so nice squeaking sound sometimes when trying to focus. I have gotten some great shots with it when it does focus and I obviously can't give it back. The only work around I have used is manually focusing in auto focus mode...defeats the purpose right?

any thoughts suggestions?

Thanks
Jeannette

try mounting then remounting and see if that helps. also if you try turning the lens left and right when its mounted you will notice the mount has just the slightest play it. the little play might help with making the contacts work better.

a small drop (the smallest drop possible) of contacts cleaner and use it on a lint free swab and rub both the camera mount contacts and your lens and see if that helps. your symptoms is the same mine went through. worked randomly then stopped completely. still a useable lens in manual focus. repair is between $300-450

try the AF from a close mark to a far mark and see if the squeak is more noticeable. Im fairly certain its dying. its the first version of the SWM and there were quite a lot of repairs done. when the AF is one then off, its pretty certain its going to be close to the end. the squeaking can be for a short or long time but its intermittent working is the problem. mine died when I was on shooting on the dance floor at a wedding. luckily I had a backup lens.

LensWork

A squeak from the AF-S motor is a sign of impending failure. As the lens has gone further from being current, Nikon USA has priced replacing the AF-S motor on the 28-70mm f/2.8 so high (~$700) that it probably does not make sense to repair it. I know this as I am having the same issue with mine. It is probably time for me to invest in a new AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G lens.

rocketman122

A squeak from the AF-S motor is a sign of impending failure. As the lens has gone further from being current, Nikon USA has priced replacing the AF-S motor on the 28-70mm f/2.8 so high (~$700) that it probably does not make sense to repair it. I know this as I am having the same issue with mine. It is probably time for me to invest in a new AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G lens.

who told you $700? I spoke with a person in mellvile and was quoted $300-450

rocketman122

How long ago?

september 2013. and many other places I called. 8-9 said between $225 to 370. nikon was the most. even APS was cheaper. not sure now. if Im going to be quote anoyhing over $400, I will not buy the 24-70 but give my money to tamron and get the 24-70 2.8 VC. $700 is a ripoff.

LensWork

september 2013. and many other places I called. 8-9 said between $225 to 370. nikon was the most. even APS was cheaper. not sure now. if Im going to be quote anoyhing over $400, I will not buy the 24-70 but give my money to tamron and get the 24-70 2.8 VC. $700 is a ripoff.

It Nikon would fix mine for $400, that would be great. I would easily rather pay that then $1,890 for a 24-70mm f/2.8. I am sure that it is a matter that the supply of AF-S motors for that particular lens is getting low as it has been discontinued for many years now. As supply goes down, price goes up. I know that Canon will not even work on their 28-70mm f/2.8L at all anymore, at any price.

rocketman122

It Nikon would fix mine for $400, that would be great. I would easily rather pay that then $1,890 for a 24-70mm f/2.8. I am sure that it is a matter that the supply of AF-S motors for that particular lens is getting low as it has been discontinued for many years now. As supply goes down, price goes up. I know that Canon will not even work on their 28-70mm f/2.8L at all anymore, at any price.

you just said $700. did nikon quote you this, or youre guessing or did you hear it from someone else? im curious. if you call APS or kurts its what I was quoted. I have to send it in for repair but need to get my cashola in order. has your lens passed away? parts are still available. dont think its an issue to make more if they need to. I think its all hype.

Im not buying the 24-70. the zoom cam stiffness is a joke. ill show a picture of what my friends 5 year old 24-70 looks like. the front area barrel came undone in a wedding. screws fell out and the zoom stiffness is a joke. let me not tell you about his 70-200VR2 which stopped working after 5 years of pro work. a $2400 lens stops working after 5 years. nikons quality has come dooown. look at all those slow AF plastic primes. what a joke.

ive stopped buying new nikon gear. lenses, either used and now im buying 2 3rd party lenses.

Last edited:

LensWork

It was a dealer that said the last 28-70 they sent to Nikon for motor replacement cost them ~$700. The 24-70 is definitely not made as well as the 28-70, I have seen many 24-70 lenses fall apart. Same with the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR & VR II; I still have the AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8 which I will keep using until it can no longer be repaired. Nikon wants people to "upgrade" to newer equipment. Many of the older pro lenses, although still fully functional, no longer count towards NPS ownership requirements.

rocketman122

It was a dealer that said the last 28-70 they sent to Nikon for motor replacement cost them ~$700. The 24-70 is definitely not made as well as the 28-70, I have seen many 24-70 lenses fall apart. Same with the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR & VR II; I still have the AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8 which I will keep using until it can no longer be repaired. Nikon wants people to "upgrade" to newer equipment. Many of the older pro lenses, although still fully functional, no longer count towards NPS ownership requirements.

WOW what a lens that 80-200 AFS! just a brilliant lens. I had it before my 70-200 VR1. I think quality wise, nikon has gone downhill. charging more and giving less. its not what it used to be. they can want, all they want. im not upgrading to any new lenses. id buy the tamron before I bought the nikon. im waiting to see what sigmas 24-70 f2 OS offers. but from personal experience who had the 28-70 EX and 24-70 DF they are absolutely horrible wide open and even at f/4 they arent anything to brag about. very soft. my tamron 28-75 is doing a stellar job as of now and im not really missing my 28-70 AFS on my cameras. its just working wonderfully. but I should get the lens repaired so the tamron can go back to being a backup.

and whats the deal with nikon and rubber? never have I seen rubber on lenses or cameras fall apart faster than with nikon. after years and years of products, couldnt they make a lens with proper quality rubbers?