.Photography Domains

WhiteLight

So.. just got this in the mailbox..
Go Daddy has started (i guess others would too) offering .photography domains specifically for photographers.

[h=2]What is .PHOTOGRAPHY?[/h]One of hundreds of new domains, .PHOTOGRAPHY focuses on photography studios, photo sharing websites, print shops, retailers, publishers and photographers of all kinds.
Make it easy for customers to connect with your passion – register .PHOTOGRAPHY for your website.

Seems exhorbitant at the moment.. Take a look here
.PHOTOGRAPHY Domains | Pre-Register Your .PHOTOGRAPHY gTLD - GoDaddy

Pre-registration now for .photography for $24.99. This does not guaranty that you will get the domain though.

Pre-RegistrationLine up ahead of everyone waiting for general availability.
Vastly improve your odds of landing this domain. GoDaddy submits your pre-registration when registration opens on Wednesday, February 12, 2014.

Rick M

I wouldn't use it over .com if it was free. Basic marketing, keep it simple and people will remember it. My current domain is RMillsphotography.com. How does Rmilsphotography.photography sound? Much longer and more to type/advertise.

nickt

I wouldn't use it over .com if it was free. Basic marketing, keep it simple and people will remember it. My current domain is RMillsphotography.com. How does Rmilsphotography.photography sound? Much longer and more to type/advertise.
Agree. I think most people would struggle to remember something other than .com
I bet some people would add the .com on the end of .photography, thinking it was a typo.
It might be a good domain for somebody selling picture hosting space. something.photography/user

WhiteLight

Very true..
.com is the norm today.. at least what we are used to..

but would (or wouldn't) you want to change "rmilsphotography.com" to "rmils.photography"??

btw they have .build for the construction industry as well and other similar ones..

Mike D90

Very true..
.com is the norm today.. at least what we are used to..

but would (or wouldn't) you want to change "rmilsphotography.com" to "rmils.photography"??

btw they have .build for the construction industry as well and other similar ones..

mycompany.photo might work but not the other way.

Rick M

For industry users it might have value. I think customers in the general population won't get it and are programmed to .com

BackdoorArts

I'm in the camp with those who would prefer .photo vs. .photography. In an era of life in under 144 character that's an awful lot of typing for some people. Seriously!! Especially on those darn smartphone keyboards. It's a cool idea, and I'd consider it if it was shorter as I'm currently investigating a new domain, but no thanks.

Browncoat

This is a gimmick that won't last. All the "good" names will be snagged by domain squatters at launch anyway...then you'll have to pay thousands just like you do now.

People are trained to type .com. Going with anything else will only lead potential visitors to someone else's site.