Auto ISO Override?

NaOH

Question. Can I enable the auto ISO function in the menu, then override that and put in my own ISO setting for a shot, and then go back to auto without having to turn it on/off in the menu?

I like auto ISO (I've lost a few shots from forgetting to adjust ISO) but I want to be able to quickly set my own value without the menu when I want.

Joseph Bautsch

I think I can answer your question, if I understand what you are asking. This is how it works in the D7000, (users manual page 103): "If On is selected for ISO sensitivity settings > Auto ISO sensitivity control in the shooting menu, ISO sensitivity will automatically be adjusted if optimal exposure can not be achieved at the value selected by the user." With the auto ISO set to on you can use whatever ISO you select as long as the camera can take an optimal exposure at that ISO. If an optimal exposure cannot be taken at the ISO you selected then the camera will automatically change the ISO to make an optimal exposure. The auto ISO will not exceed the max limit you set nor the minimum. So you do select the ISO you want even in the auto mode. The difference being that in auto mode the camera will change your selected ISO if an optimal exposure cannot be taken. Hope this helps.

NaOH

OK, so just to confirm: I have Auto ISO enabled. I want to select my own ISO for a shot (let's say ISO 400), I adjust my ISO to 400 and as long as the camera agrees that's an acceptable number for my photo it's taken at 400 and not necessarily what the Auto ISO would have selected?

I just found the manual a bit confusing on this subject.

Joseph Bautsch

Yes, the photo is always taken at your selected ISO, as long as the camera can use that ISO for an optimal exposure. If it can't use that ISO for an optimal exposure it will automatically change it to get the optimal. It will not, however, exceed the maximum ISO you have set. A bit confusing, but a useful tool in situations where the lighting conditions are fluctuating substantially and you don't have time to change the ISO manually. Lighting for stage plays, or band concerts come to mind. You always want to shoot at the minimal ISO that will allow an optimal exposure. The auto mode allows you to do that and still get the shot. Hope this helps.

NaOH

That did it. Thanks Joseph.

Does the ISO I "overrode" with reset (to say 100 ISO) when the camera is turned off or the function dial is changed or does it stay at my new (400 ISO in my example) setting from then on?

Joseph Bautsch

The ISO stays at the ISO you set it to. Turning the camera off and on does not change it. The ISO you set is locked in until you change it. Even when the auto ISO makes a change to get an optimal exposure the ISO then goes back to your original setting for the next shot. There are only two ways to change the ISO. You have to press the ISO button on the left side of the monitor and then turn the main command dial to select a new ISO. The second way is to go into the menus and select a new ISO.

NaOH

Well that answers all the questions. I'd have prefered it to 'reset' after an on/off but it's not a big deal.

Thanks again.

On a side note I'm finding that while my photos with the D7k aren't a day and night difference over my D80 the number of keepers seems to have climbed quite a bit.

Joseph Bautsch

Another point to be made (You probably already know this.) is to set the shooting mode on shutter priority when hand holding in low light situations with auto ISO. Stage plays and band concerts come to mind. Other wise the camera could decide that 1/10 sec. or slower is the optimal exposure for your selected ISO. That way you select the shutter speed and force the auto ISO to a new value. A lot less camera shake that way.