HDR Beginner in need of advise

Nikonite1222

Hi Everybody-

I'm new to the whole HDR thing and I am very interested in it though. I shoot with a Nikon D200 and I know how to use the bracketing mode very well. What I am in need of help with is the production in the pc. If anybody out there could suggest what kind of software I need and how to use it i would be very grateful !!!

Currently, I am using Photoshop CS and Lightroom 3.3. not that those would help.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. And please feel free to ask if I need to provide any other information that would be of assistance.

Sincerely- Doug

ohkphoto

Snow White
Hi, Doug!

I'm a great fan of HDR and you'll be hooked as soon as you try it. If you have CS5, you can use their HDR Pro program. Taking the shots is kind of trial and error. Take at least 3 auto-bracketed shots . . . you want to be in either aperature priority or manual. Once you get your shots downloaded into lightroom (be sure you use a tripod when shooting), select the shots you want to merge. You should have at least 1 that is very underexposed, and 1 that is very overexposed. Go to the photo menu in on top in lightroom, and select "edit in", scroll down to "merge to HDR Pro in Photoshop". This will take a little bit of time. Once PS does its thing, a new screen will open with hdr controls, and that's when the fun begins! Just play with the sliders until you get the effect you want.

Hopefully this will give you a start. Most of this is really trial and error and personal taste. Let us know if you need more help. Post some of your efforts and we can help you more.

Good luck.

Best Regards

naja

You could also download the trial version of Photomatrix. It is an excellent product that I use for HDR work.

Enjoy the new experience

Ruidoso Bill

As you have already figured out there are many different ways to approach the HDR software issue. Many here use Photomatix and you can download a free trial. I use Easy Hdr Pro 2, full version is about 1/2 that of Photomatix. It offers great auto and maual align features and I am very happy with what it does. There is also a free software called Picturenaut, you might give that a spin also.

Nikonite1222

Hi There ohkphoto-

Thank you so much for the advise, Unfortunately I have Photoshop CS, not CS 2,3,4, or 5,,,just the beginning CS. As a family man, I cant spend the 700 to 800 for CS5,,,but I think I will download the free software of Picturenaut and try to hone my skills on that before purchasing Photomatrix..

ohkphoto

Snow White
As a family man, I cant spend the 700 to 800 for CS5

I understand, and their HDR program is not as good as Photomatix and others. So I certainly wouldn't spend that kind of money either on it just for the HDR. Go with one of the free ones until you get the hang of it and then decide what you want to upgrade to.

Good Luck! Looking forward to seeing some of your HDR efforts :)

Best Regards

Ruidoso Bill

Hi There ohkphoto-

Thank you so much for the advise, Unfortunately I have Photoshop CS, not CS 2,3,4, or 5,,,just the beginning CS. As a family man, I cant spend the 700 to 800 for CS5,,,but I think I will download the free software of Picturenaut and try to hone my skills on that before purchasing Photomatrix..

Picturenaut actually works quite well, I does not have the LDR capability to do a HDR look alike with a single image but works very well with multiple exposures. I'm in the same boat as others here, I have to get the most out of what I purchase and $50 for easyHDR pro 2 was in my budget.

Nikonite1222

Thanks Bill !!!!

Since I have the bracketing on the D200 down pretty well (it's so easy to set the D200 to bracketing as well) and I have a Benro tripod / ballhead combo that is solid at a rock,,,I feel that taking many bracketed photos will be no problem and running them through Picturenaut will be easy as well. I know I can find many videos on Youtube offering instruction if I have an issue as well as posting it here.

Have a great night !!!

Douog