D3000 best zoom and macro lens?

EagleEye

Hello,

I just purchased my first camera about 2 weeks ago and I would like to know what would be the best zoom lens or combination of lenses for lowest cost. I plan to take wildlife photos of animals. I would like to also take some photos of up close plants and critters as well. Thanks for any advice in advance.

DraganDL

Tricky. The least expensive of them all would be Nikon 55-200mm "kit" lens, without VR (vibration reduction): http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55200.htm
Better solution (in my opinion), not significantly pricier than the aforementioned one is Sigma 70-300mm (but ONLY if you "can live" without the optical stabilization/vibration reduction) which is capable of taking photos in "macro mode" too: 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro - Telephoto Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com
Or, maybe Tamron's 70-300mm: http://www.tamron.com/en/photolens/di_telephoto/a17.html
All these lenses have their "optically stabilized" variants, but these are much more expensive (nevertheless, consider them just as well).

Forgot to ask you this: do you ALREADY have ANY lens(es)? Like, "kit" 18-55mm, or you bought the camera body only?

Last edited:

EagleEye

Thank you for the response, I will definitely check out the links. The camera did come with the 18-55mm lens (Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G)

DraganDL

That's good enough. With these two lenses (kit 18-55mm + any of the aforementioned 3 models) you are ready for some serious action (within the limits of a "hobbyist" category, that is) . Think about getting some essential filters (UV/skylight), the spare battery, and you can hardly miss the point ...

Last edited:

EagleEye

Thank you! I really appreciate the help! I know I have A LOT to learn! But as soon as I decide on the lens I will upload a few photos to see what people think! Not sure what filters do yet, but I will add them to my look up and learn list! Again thank you!