blurry zoom

dan serolf

i got a nikon d5200 camera for christmas...im really lost with mechanix of the settings....when i use zoom on the lense that came with it....(nikon dx-afs nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6g)....my pictures are very blurry ....please help

nickt

Its best to post a couple pictures with all of your settings listed. It is most likely too low of a shutter speed. A rough guide is shutter speed should be 1/focal length. So try to stay at 1/60 or faster at zoom. You can't just up the shutter speed though, everything has to balance out. Usually that is not a problem if there is plenty of light. 2nd guess would be an unintended focus point. Since you say you are lost with the settings, I will offer up some material to learn about exposure:

Learning about Exposure - The Exposure Triangle - Digital Photography School

Exposure | Understanding Exposure - ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed Explained

Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, & Light Explained-Understanding Exposure & Camera Settings - YouTube

A good book... Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Any basic photography book should also clue you in on exposure basics. Sometimes you can find good ones in the bargain bins.

Once you understand how exposure works, your owner's manual will make a lot more sense and you should be more comfortable understanding your settings.

BackdoorArts

Is the Auto-Focus turned on both on the lens and on the camera? Are you holding the shutter button down 1/2 way to allow it to focus first? Have you read the manual cover to cover?

Just-Clayton

Could be a number of things to start. make sure switch on lens is in A. Make sure camera is set off manual. If those are set then lens should try and focus. I don't have that specific camera. So, not sure of the layout.

Whiskeyman

i got a nikon d5200 camera for christmas...im really lost with mechanix of the settings....when i use zoom on the lense that came with it....(nikon dx-afs nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6g)....my pictures are very blurry ....please help

Dan, I hope one of the previous responses helped you solve your problem.

If they didn't, do you know where the camera was purchased? If so, and it's local, gather everything you got with the camera, boxes, packing foam/plastic, warranty cards, manuals, CD's, etcetera, and take them back to the place of purchase and talk to their sales clerks about your problems worth the camera. They should be more than willing to show you how to used the camera.

This way, if the camera or lens does have an issue, they can see it firsthand. Some retailers extended their return policy for Christmas items to the end of January, so if you can get the receipt, or the person who gave it to you can go with you with the receipt, it could further help to resolve an issue of defective equipment.

If you want to do so before or in addition to that, or if that isn't an option, NikonUSA has online programs for their products, called the Digitutor, you can find them for the D5200 at:

Digitutor Nikon D5200 | Nikon

I hope this helps you.

WM

fotojack

Set the switch on the lens to A, set your camera to P,S, or A mode (preferably A mode.). Hold shutter button down half way, allow the camera and lens to focus, look for the little green dot inside Viewfinder to glow steady, depress shutter button down fully to take picture. Problem solved. :)