AF On button

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Nikon Rumors posted this video which explains using the AF On button on the back of the camera rather than holding down the shutter halfway then recomposing. The camera needs to be put into AF-C (continuous) for this to work. Plus the shutter release button has to be set so it no longer controls the AF.

Supposedly if the AF On button is pressed, the camera will lock its focus and won't change. You can take shot after shot without having to refocus. And if the subject moves, you can hold down the AF On button and it is supposed to track the subject.

Has anyone tried out this camera setting?

How to use Nikon's AF-ON and back button autofocus | Nikon Rumors

Deezey

I set my D90's AE button to be the AF-on. Works great. Perfect for action shooting.

The camera does focus. The shutter button will oonly operate the VR and trip the shutter. It takes some getting used to. But once you have it down it is very useful.
Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Just-Clayton

I thought it was funny that I was trying this technique the last few day and this video posted today. It takes a little to get used to. But, I kind of like it.

Mike D90

I have been using that since the second week I had my D90. It works very well and I believe is the reason I have made the improvements I have seen.

However, if you use any type of remote shutter release this has to be turned off prior.

Mfrankfort

I've tried it, but I look through the viewfinder with my left eye, and not sure about all cameras, but the D600, my nose gets in the way, haha. It's a bit awkward when I have to move my nose out of the way to press the button, lol. It does work great though. I have mine set to AF/AE lock.

DraganDL

Yeah, but this is a yesterday's news - used to be (and probably still is) called "back button autofocusing"). Thanx anyway - it's a very useful thing, and so many photographers are not informed about it...

Last edited:

Lawrence

Yeah, but this is a yesterday's news - used to be (and probably still is) called "back button autofocusing"). Thanx anyway - it's a very useful thing, and so many photographers are not informed about it...

Just what I was saying to my flatmate today - there is so much information on this forum that to get it all you would have to trawl for hours through old posts and who has time for that?

As a newbie who had no idea about this bit of "yesterday's news" I am extremely grateful that it was rehashed. And so is my flatmate!

It has already helped me. :D

FastGlass

I have read so many posts that ask about subjects or ideas that have been asked over and over again. It's nice to see that most of us are willing to again answer and offer guidance to such questions. When I want answers to something it's usually now that I want them and searching through hundreds of posts to try and find something related is wasted time. 99% of the time this forum offers reply's to those over and over again asked ?'s. I appreciate knowing can I can come to a place and get advice on anything asked related to what we do. Other forums aren't so nice.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

Good for you! However, I'm a caregiver 24/7 so yesterday's news quite often is today's news to me. ;)

When I had an AF issue with my D600, I did try out the AF On button while in AF-S. Since I have chronic forearm tendonitis, it wasn't as easy for me as it probably would be for others. The idea of turning off the AF capability in the shutter release was news to me as was the difference of pressing and releasing the button to lock the focus vs. holding the button down to track the subject.

I'm interested in hearing the opinions of others who have used the feature--whether or not they like it. :)

Just-Clayton

I used it again today at a hockey practice and yesterdays game. Shown on my 365. I seem to be getting faster shots and more sharpness. I don't have to keep pushing the shutter button.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I used it again today at a hockey practice and yesterdays game. Shown on my 365. I seem to be getting faster shots and more sharpness. I don't have to keep pushing the shutter button.

I will check out your 365 thread. Thanks! :)