First wide angle

joshhenry

I'm just starting to really get into photography more and I'm new to this forum. I am looking for my first really wide angle lens. I have a d5000 and currently have the 18-105, 35mm 1.8g, and 50mm 1.4d. I keep looking primarily at the sigma 10-20 because I think the 10mm end is going to be really important to me. Should I get that or spend the extra money for the Nikon 10-24. I know I've seen that the 12-24 is better build quality but I really want the 10mm wide end. Being ultra fast isn't a huge concern for me at the moment and I've been looking at the older sigma model because it can be found for relatively cheap used. Any suggestions or something else entirely you all would recommend? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

joshhenry

Mostly I'll be taking outdoor and indoor pictures around Chicago and using it for landscapes on trips out of town.

joshhenry

I've been looking at used lenses on KEH. The Sigma goes for around 330 and you can get the Nikkor 10-24 for about 660. Plus the occasional deal on eBay or craigslist

bigal1000

I'm just starting to really get into photography more and I'm new to this forum. I am looking for my first really wide angle lens. I have a d5000 and currently have the 18-105, 35mm 1.8g, and 50mm 1.4d. I keep looking primarily at the sigma 10-20 because I think the 10mm end is going to be really important to me. Should I get that or spend the extra money for the Nikon 10-24. I know I've seen that the 12-24 is better build quality but I really want the 10mm wide end. Being ultra fast isn't a huge concern for me at the moment and I've been looking at the older sigma model because it can be found for relatively cheap used. Any suggestions or something else entirely you all would recommend? Thanks in advance.

Pick up a used Nikon 12-24 f4 from KEH I just bought one from them for $525 I don't like 3rd party stuff but that is my opinion !

Horoscope Fish

The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 DXII is definitely worth considering. You'll need the DXII version since your D5000 does not have an auto-focus motor in the camera body. It currently sells for $535 on B&H but can be had other places. Used copies are not hard to come by from what I've heard.

I have this lens and it's been awesome. Surprisingly sharp and a constant f/2.8 which is nice.

Last edited:

joshhenry

I ended up going with the Sigma 10-20mm lens and I am really happy with it so far. I would have gone with the Nikon 12-24 except that I think the 10-12mm range is what I will be using most. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.