Iceboat

nickt

I don't know much about iceboats, but I'm told this one is very old. Too cold to walk out and get a closer shot, so I did the best I could with the zoom. There are some newer more colorful ones around here, but none to be seen yet this year.

D71_0862.jpg

D71_0898.jpg

D71_0903.jpg

D71_0904.jpg

Mfrankfort

Never seen one. Pretty cool though. I should get one to take to work, haha. Keeps snowing every day here, I know what that guy/girl feels like

nickt

I was fortunate to grow up around a small lake. There have always been iceboats out there every winter. They prefer when the ice is like glass. Sometimes that means warm weather and thin ice. I've seen them out there when no fisherman will brave the ice. There are a number of these old wooden ice boats still around along with some nearby Hudson River iceboat clubs that are still active. Many of these old wooden boats were originally built in the 1800's and went through some restores and rebuilds over the years.

I found this youtube video this morning trying to dig up some history.
Hudson River Ice Yacht Club,Tivoli Bay, February 7 2010.mov - YouTube

nickt

A couple more old ice boats and some fisherman. These are about 800 yards out, I'm still not feeling like I want to walk out there.

D71_1300.jpg

D71_1448.jpg

D71_1474.jpg

D71_1482.jpg

D71_1483.jpg

D71_1484.jpg