Should I upgrade from Nikon D3200 TO D5200 ?

super

Hello, I am a newbie in DSLR cameras and I just bought D3200 as my plan is to start a youtube channel. I like D3200 but the only problem is that I do not have the flip screen as I need to record myself. My budget is not very high and I find d5100 old in features as I want to stick with 24 MP. Do you think I thought upgrade to D5200 from D3200 ? Is it worth spending so much more money just for flip screen considering that I am a newbie ?

Bill16

Welcome to nikonites! :D
From what you've mentioned, it sounds like good upgrade for you! To help with the cost, you could sell your nearly brand new D3200, though I'm no expert! I never do videos myself, so others should be able to advise you much better! :D

super

Thank you for the prompt reply. I also would like to know..in reality..does flip LCD is very useful or not ? Because for me..that is the ONLY reason I am not happy with D3200 as it has everything I need but I only bought it because of my low budget but not 100% happy now since I find, I want flip screen.

MrF

Can you tether the 3200? I've never played around with that, but if the only reason you want the flip screen is to check composition when you record yourself, tethering might be a good solution.

super

By tethering, you mean connecting camera to laptop or something too see the view ? I don't know how to do that ?

super

Is flip screen useful in other things like angle shots etc ? in what other situations flip screen is useful? I just need a good list of reasons in order to stick with D3200 OR a good list of reason to understand if it is worth spending more money for flip screen ?

MrF

By tethering, you mean connecting camera to laptop or something too see the view ? I don't know how to do that ?

Exactly. I've never tried it, but some folks here have had some success with it. Check this out:
http://nikonites.com/computers-software/13456-free-nikon-tethering-software.html#axzz2qxZnO76z

I have a D7000 and I've never missed the lack of the flippy screen. Of course, I can't recall a single photo I've taken where I haven't used the viewfinder. I could see it being useful if you compose through live view a lot (or shoot a lot of video, which forces you to live view), and shoot at odd angles.

Chito

I'd also suggest getting a video cam instead of upgrading to the 5100. Keep the 3200 for your photography and use the video cam for videos. That way to you could get to a higher resolution than what the 5100 could give you in video. You could probably get something better than the video of the 5100 has to offer for the same cost of buying a 5100.