Sunset Lightning.

Scott Murray

SHM_8694-Edit.jpg

Scott Murray

Scott, that sunset lightning is so Excellent!

Pat in NH
Thanks Pat, I was sitting here on a dull night drinking heineken and I thought 'what if' I combined only 3 - 4 images instead of the 6 - 8 that were not working. And then I looked at them and thought, hang on I had lightning across the frame with in a few minutes so these should combine quite well. And this is what I ended up with out of 4 x images. I guess sometimes we over do things and they do not work out.

Whiskeyman

Scott,

Can you tell us a bit more about how you did this? I understand stacking somewhat, but I'm not sure how it was used here. In addition, how did you capture the individual images? I plan to be in the Florida Keys in June, and would love any insight into your techniques that you will offer.

WM

Scott Murray

Scott,

Can you tell us a bit more about how you did this? I understand stacking somewhat, but I'm not sure how it was used here. In addition, how did you capture the individual images? I plan to be in the Florida Keys in June, and would love any insight into your techniques that you will offer.

WM
Ok let me find the individual frames and then we will start from there.

Scott Murray

Ok here is the thing, I took multiple shots using a NERO lightning trigger and for the use of these 4 images this is what I had to wade through. I then selected my images, auto aligned them and then auto blended them. This does not always work and you either need to a: re do them with less images or b: adjust settings and blend more naturally. I stuck with a: and adjusted to what I wanted eg lightning strikes across the image with minimal change. This is of course you get such ideal circumstances, and also if you can wade or wait out the crappy shots.

SHM_8787.jpgSHM_8786.jpgSHM_8785.jpgSHM_8784.jpgSHM_8783.jpgSHM_8782.jpgSHM_8781.jpgSHM_8780.jpgSHM_8779.jpgSHM_8778.jpgSHM_8777.jpgSHM_8776.jpgSHM_8775.jpgSHM_8774.jpgSHM_8773.jpgSHM_8772.jpgSHM_8771.jpgSHM_8770.jpgSHM_8769.jpg

Attachments

• SHM_8693-Edit-2.jpg
    SHM_8693-Edit-2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 60

Scott Murray

Honestly its hard to pick the individual frames that made up this shot. The thing with lightning if you place your camera in the right direction and you have enough bolts within a small space of time with no to limited cloud shift then this is possible. If you have a storm build up and you have access to a sunset at the same time then it becomes more interesting. But all these things do not happen at once and its pure luck if it does.

Scott Murray

Ok this should make it easier for this lightning period. As you can see there are a lot of shots and you need to place together the shots that work or find the perfect shot.

Screen Shot 2014-01-19 at 2.55.34 am.jpg

Whiskeyman

That many shots has to make the sorting task daunting, but you've done it quite well.

I'll research the Nero lightning trigger. When I tried to photograph lightning last fall, I used longer exposure times and hoped for blind luck to help me out. Luck wasn't on my side then.

Thanks for providing the information. Any other information you'd want to provide is eagerly anticipated.

WM

Scott Murray

That many shots has to make the sorting task daunting, but you've done it quite well.

I'll research the Nero lightning trigger. When I tried to photograph lightning last fall, I used longer exposure times and hoped for blind luck to help me out. Luck wasn't on my side then.

Thanks for providing the information. Any other information you'd want to provide is eagerly anticipated.

WM
Have patience and keep a reasonable distance from the storm, you do not want an approaching storm but you want to be on the edge of it ;-)

Scott Murray

WM
long exposures got my best shots, I used to hold it open in bulb at a daylight setting and wait for a flash. The only issue is processing time as the longer you leave it open the longer it takes to process. ,