Plastic Lens Mounts.

Rick M

After getting back "into" photography recently, I was suprised to see plastic lens mounts on the lenses for my D3100 (my last new camera was a pentax k1000, so I've been out of touch for a few decades!). I hope they hold up! Anyone have issues with them?

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
The only time I've ever had an issue was with my old D70s when I was in the security line at O'Hare and someone knocked my camera bag off the belt. The plastic lens mount that was attached to the body stayed with the body and the rest of the lens separated. It was an unusual occurrence.

Ruidoso Bill

That was a difference between the 70-300 mm ED (Metal) and the "G" Plastic. The ED's are older but sell for more. I am just more comfortable with the metal mount.

I still have a K1000 along with my H1A and H3v, Those old pentax cameras just keep on tickin'

Last edited:

Rick M

I remember getting my k1000 for christmas and marveling at what a piece of complicated technology it was! Wow, things have changed! I considered the Kx while researching DSLR's but liked the D3100 more.

fotojack

wow! I finally meet someone else who started with the trusted ol' K1000! That was my workhorse camera back in the day. Sold it to my sister in law almost 30 years ago, and it's still going strong!
Now.....on to the issue at hand. If it was me, I'd stay away from the plastic mounts. You're just asking for trouble, IMHO. I'm old school, and don't use anything BUT metal mounts! You pay more, but you get more, is the way I see it.

Joseph Bautsch

The one rule I follow without fail is to separate the body and lens, whether it's a plastic or metal mount, when I put the camera away in the camera bag. I started doing that when I got the D90 and the kit lens had the plastic mount. Unfortunately it's cheeper to make a plastic mount than a metal one and Nikon thinks plastic is OK.

Rick M

I noticed alot of manufactures using plastic on the low end lenses, and they claim it's a benefit to make them lighter! Funny they don't use that "benefit" on their flagship lenses!

Jack- Back in the day my Dad started me out on an old argus twin lense reflex and a brownie before I moved up to the K1000. The best memories of my life are weekends in the darkroom with my dad. He was I guess an advanced amature, boy you really worked for your results back then!

jengajoh

My D90 kit lens, the 18-105, has a plastic mount. I haven't had any issues but a girl in my class with the same kit was having problems. Something about the lens not staying tightly attached, and when it would loosen the camera wouldn't take a picture.

fotojack

My D90 kit lens, the 18-105, has a plastic mount. I haven't had any issues but a girl in my class with the same kit was having problems. Something about the lens not staying tightly attached, and when it would loosen the camera wouldn't take a picture.

I rest my case. :)

Ruidoso Bill

The alignment and contact of the contacts between the lens and the camera body are critical, even a dirty contact can cause issues, loose or not well connected can also cause problems.

johnwartjr

And the plastic mounts *break*

At least you can buy replacements inexpensively...

1c999-729

Nikon has apparently given some owners problems under the warranty, as the lenses have broken without being dropped, mishandled, etc.

I've heard of this problem on 18-105, 18-55, and 55-200mm lenses.

Rick M

It's ashame Nikon has gone this route along with the others to save a couple bucks. Would have been another selling point seperating them from their competitors.

Ruidoso Bill

It's ashame Nikon has gone this route along with the others to save a couple bucks. Would have been another selling point seperating them from their competitors.

I couldn't agree more, makes me wonder if Hasselblad or Leica have found it necessary.

I also wonder if you can buy the metal (aluminum) mount and replace it on the newer lenses.

Rick M

Perhaps the site John posted has the metal replacements for the more expensive lenses. If they matched up, I'd definitely swap out the plastic ones, I don't have any other lenses (besides the 55-200 with a plastic mount) to make the comparison.