Old Barn Redo

Ruidoso Bill

Well, I have tried to incorporate suggestions, I am still learning this software, Changed some presets and it pumped up the sky a little, what do you think?

FinalOldbarneasyHDRPro2.jpg

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
The sky still appears unnatural to me. Is your monitor calibrated?

Last edited by a moderator:

ohkphoto

Snow White
The sky is still appears unnatural to me

Actually, Eduard, the sky here in NM is very close to that blue. I think it appears unnatural because the grass and trees are too dull.

Bill, have you tried playing around with the vibrance and tint? The things that "pop" are the sky and barn (great details!). It would be nice to get the grass and trees to "pop", too.This is so much better.

Eduard has a good point about monitor calibration.

Ruidoso Bill

I think to get more color out of the grass and trees I'll have to wait for spring/summer. It seems like when I get the grass and trees up more the sky suffers.

Oh well, I'll keep trying to learn.

fotojack

Bill, it's a big improvement over the original shot. I like it, personally. :) And yes, the sky IS that blue out there, Eduard. :) I've been there many times and seen it for myself.

Browncoat

I think its neat how the roof of the barn seems to reflect that intensely blue sky.

And I think that's what not neat about it. Gotta agree with the others on this one...there's a color shift here that makes this look unnatural, so much so, it's tweaking the grey in the roof to the blue side. The barn looks spectacular, excellent job! But the sky is too extreme for the rest of the composition.

Have you considered converting this one to B&W with HDR?

Ruidoso Bill

Here are a couple of alternatives:

FinalBarnColor.jpg

I reduced the saturation to get the blue out of the roof trim, increased contrast to bring up the trees and grass a little.

FinalBarnB&W.jpg

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
First one is my favorite. Great job on the redo, Bill. I also like the BW

Now here's the most important question, which one "speaks" to you the most?

Ruidoso Bill

I like them both, I lost some sky drama in both but the trees and grass are better. The B&W probably speaks the most to me, I think I'll print it out. I can see the B&W with a nice black or charcoal mat which I'll be able to cut soon.