Senior Portraits

Jeff_J

This is the whole reason for getting my camera. I am not sure if I am in over my head, since I do not know anything. So I am asking all you knowledgeable folks.

Is it possible to for someone that has no knowledge to be able to do these? My oldest is a sophmore, so I have some time. Knowing this, what would be some of the things that you would do to get the necessary skills to do this? I think at this point, I can’t even really ask intelligent questions. Please give me some pointers on how to get there.

Mike D90

This is the whole reason for getting my camera. I am not sure if I am in over my head, since I do not know anything. So I am asking all you knowledgeable folks.

Is it possible to for someone that has no knowledge to be able to do these? My oldest is a sophmore, so I have some time. Knowing this, what would be some of the things that you would do to get the necessary skills to do this? I think at this point, I can’t even really ask intelligent questions. Please give me some pointers on how to get there.

I highly doubt you will be successful at first with no knowledge at all. I suggest doing a lot of reading and practice before you do any for hire. You need to be very familiar with your camera inside and out. All settings and using all settings. Most shots will not be using any Program modes.

Ask a lot of questions here in the portrait area. We have some excellent photogs on this site.

Here are some great links I suggest you check out:

http://nikonites.com/learning-photography/14171-***-post-your-useful-links-***.html#axzz2qhm4J17o

Tutorials Forum

http://nikonites.com/learning-photo...ortrait-tutorials-articles.html#axzz2qhm4J17o

wud

Great links, and yes, read up on the subject.

Start with portraits of your kids, wife, best friends. Best way to learn, is when you do it and afterwards look at your image to figure out, what could be adjusted for a better result next time.

Sent from Tapatalk

Jeff_J

I think that I missed spoke. I am not looking at doing any Senior Portraits other than my two boys. I like photography, but seriously doubt I could make it my profession.

Mike D90

I think that I missed spoke. I am not looking at doing any Senior Portraits other than my two boys. I like photography, but seriously doubt I could make it my profession.

That is a hell of a lot different! :D

Yes, you could do them with some practice. And if they aren't what you wanted you can do them over and over again without being sued.

STM

Practice makes perfect, the more you shoot and look at other more experienced photographer's work for inspiration the better you will become. I have done a fair amount of Senior portraits, mostly outdoors. A good senior portrait is really just a good half length portrait. Well lit, properly exposed with a sufficiently out of focus background.

Claudia!

Hi Jeff. Practice is extremely important, as well as finding the right resources to ask these questions and to learn from others who have been in your shoes. I came across this Facebook group (the link is below) that focuses solely on high school seniors. You can see their work, ask questions and get feedback. They include photographers who are just starting to experienced photographers. Hopefully it may help you out. Aside from that, nikonites is a great spot to learn so much about photography.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/highschoolseniorphotographers/

Sgt Preston

experiment , experiment, use different settings and compare results, so you will understand how the different settings will affect your photo's. do not be afraid of making mistakes, and have fun